Tascam 424 mkIII help!

Tmitch

I am interested in buying a Tascam 424 mkIII. I wish to use drums, bass and vocals on 3 of the 4 stereo tracks available. I would also like to use 2 guitars on the mono tracks (one in L and one in R). It says there are 2 mono tracks or L only, does this mean I can only record on the L side on mono? Or does the L buss and R buss have something to do with this as I do not know what this means. Help greatly appreciated, Thanks.

I think you are looking at the stereo inputs for the effects send/return on your unit. The inputs for instruments or mics will be 1/4" inputs, or XLR. They are mono and can be panned left, right, or center.

Hi, the Tascam 424 has 4 tracks total, not 4 stereo tracks. You have 4 mono inputs (either xlr or 1/4" jacks) Inputs 5-6 and 7-8 are stereo inputs that do not have a separate EQ. You record on the 4 tracks in either one of two ways. If you select "Direct" on the switch for tracks 1-4, input 1 will record to track 1, input 2 will record to track 2 and so on through 4. I don't think 5-8 do anything in this configuration except play back through your monitors.

If you select "Buss" on track 1 and / or 3, then any inputs that are panned left will record on track 1 and/or 3. So if you want to record 6 things on track one you would plug them all in and pan everything left. If you arm tracks 2 and / or 4 to "buss", then any inputs panned right record to these tracks.

Does this make any sense to you now?

Cheers,

TxGitarman

Back