Tascam 424 mkIII

Tmitch

Hi,
Am interested in buying a 424 mkIII. Once I recorded a track, If I put the pan knob in the middle would sound come from both sides? As i have heard all the tracks are mono and I would like a stereo sound (from both sides)

ok so is that if i did put the pan knob in the middle i would have sound from both sides? It was rather vague, Thanks.

Yes...

you can postion each recorded track in the stereo field wherever you want to, on mixdown.

You can also record onto two tracks and get a stereo recording of, let's say, a drum set. You'd hear the high hat on the right side and the ride cymbal on the left, for instance.

Sorry to keep asking, but this item finishes on eBay soon! But the Tascam 424 mkIII can do this (sound from both sides) because people I have been speaking to say they are mono channels and therefore I thought it may be left only? (mono sound)

when you record two mono channels from the same source, you can create stereo. So as long as you have that pan knob you can record stereo, butyou will be using two channels as always. If taht makes it any clear.

Each track is mono (i.e just one signal) but they go into the mixer section, which "sums" each mono track into a one stereo signal (L/R), so when you move the pan control of track 1 (for example) to the left, it sends more of that signal to the Left stereo bus. If the pan control goes all the way to the left, you'll only hear that signal on the left channel of the master (aka Stereo bus) bus. If you pan it 1/2 way between center and completely left, it will sound about twice as loud in the left channel vs. the right channel, so if you're listening on headphones or properly located speakers, it will appear that the sound will be in between completely left and center. Make sense? Now get your Tascam, and start recording! It will become clear once you get going.

Back