Tascam 246 help

Hitmewithachair

Hey. Was recently gifted a Tascam 246. It powers on fine all the inputs work I’m following the proper steps in the manual to record and when I hit play to listen back to what I recorded there’s no sound. just looking for any help.

Hey. Was recently gifted a Tascam 246. It powers on fine all the inputs work I’m following the proper steps in the manual to record and when I hit play to listen back to what I recorded there’s no sound. just looking for any help.

Never had one but, when diagnosing audio problems start at the output and work back! That is, put any old cassette in the machine and see if it plays back. If even the replay circuits are borked you have been given a pup. You could try cleaning the heads? Clean man's hankerchief and a drop of ISOPROPAlcohol, or vodka or gin in a pinch. Meths.

I am sure the manual will give details on this vital piece of tape machine care (*&^%y things!)

Dave.

I have a 246 that I haven't used in ages. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to refresh my memory as to how it works and maybe offer some ideas.

- When recording or playing back is the tape moving for sure?
- Are you using speakers/monitors or headphones to listen to playback?

Back