Tascam 1800 volume playback issues when recording.

Zach Frazier

Hey I have a Tascam 1800 interface with USB 2.0 hookup to my laptop, and I am currently using Cubase Le 5, and pro tools 10 to recording some drum tracks and I seem to have a problem when I recording anything the sound levels are so low that I have to crank all my volume up to get a decent sound out of my kit. I don't know if I am missing something with the connections with my DAW or I am missing something when it comes to the settings. I also am using Pyle-Pro PDKM microphones to mic my kit. All of my VST connections are correct and I have set my default audio on my computer to the Tascam in my audio settings on my laptop. I don't know if the quality of my microphones could limit the audio that is recorded or what. Before I had a behringer xynx 1222 audio interface and had no problems with the volume when recording and listening to playbacks. If anyone has any ideas or has had this same problem let me know. I can send pictures of connections, setup, audio of my set, or anything else. Email me at zach.frazier@hotmail.com I check that email frequently.

Welcome Zach!

What is it that you consider 'low' level? When recording you are looking at around -18dBFS as proper recording level. You raise that up later when mixing.

I used the 1800 and the previous US1641 for years. Never an issue. We may need to take a bit of time here to discuss how this works.

Nobody here is going to contact you directly via email unless you have special needs.

Absolutely post pix, and screenshots of your gear. There are many here willing to help man.

You are going to need to get your post count up tho. 10 posts before you can share a link. How about we just talk here. :)

Jimmy69 I mean low as in when I go and listen to the playback and loop it over a song that I am covering I have to crank the volume up on my headphones and computer and interface to get a decent sound. And here are some images of my setup. photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Try turning your mix knob on your interface during play back , you probably have it turned the wrong way.

Zach: from the pictures of your pro tools tracks the wave forms looks like you are getting a solid amount of gain. Cranking the headphone volume is definitely not a problem. Recordings are not going to be as loud as a commercial mix until the mastering phase. Also I have noticed the US-1800 doesnt have the worlds loudest headphone amp. I was just playing my bass into a us-1800 with sennheiser HD280's and I had the volume all the way up.

+1 I use a 1800. Playing back tracks weve recorded while I listen on the headphones to add drum tracks is not enough volume. I bought a headphone amp and problem solved.

+1 I use a 1800. Playing back tracks weve recorded while I listen on the headphones to add drum tracks is not enough volume. I bought a headphone amp and problem solved.

This is a truth. Though not sure he was talking about levels while recording.

I just installed my Tascam US-1800 (driver V.2.10) with my Equator Audio D8 near field monitors on my Macintosh computer (OS X 10.8.5). The Tascam and monitors work great when playing audio from my computer. However, when I try to play anything online, no sound occurs. Is there a setting that I need to change in order for things online to play through my Tascam and monitors?

Thanks

I just installed my Tascam US-1800 (driver V.2.10) with my Equator Audio D8 near field monitors on my Macintosh computer (OS X 10.8.5). The Tascam and monitors work great when playing audio from my computer. However, when I try to play anything online, no sound occurs. Is there a setting that I need to change in order for things online to play through my Tascam and monitors?

Thanks

You need to set the Tascam as your audio device in your systems settings, sorry don't know the menus you access for that on a Mac.

Back