Tape 4 track recording question

George Adey

I have just bought a basically never used Tascam 244 4 track -

I want to record a click track on track 1 and then I'm unsure about how to go about recording the guitars. I have about 3/4 different guitar tracks I want for this one song. Is it best to record them to separate tracks on the tascam and then get the levels correct and then bounce them to one track? Or is it better to record one guitar part and then keep overdubbing the different guitar parts? My guess would be the first option as with overdubbing you went going to have any control of volume of each part

Hope that makes sense and cheers for any help

One, Two, Three to track 4 in one shot. It is a matter of forethought as to how you fill the tracks & stereo spread

Sorry do you mean like this for example - Track 1 - Rhythm Guitar Track 2 - Lead Track 3 - Another guitar track and then bounce them all to track 4?

Thanks

stupid question but if click was on 1, would you only obviously then be able to record guitars on tracks 2 + 3 and then bounce to 4?

stupid question but if click was on 1, would you only obviously then be able to record guitars on tracks 2 + 3 and then bounce to 4?

The Cream had Ginger Baker. Your the one wanting to do guitars first. FORE + THOUGHT. Are you recording something you never heard before, or what : )

If you need to do the click, work it in as you say. You just need to get some run through under your belt

The Cream had Ginger Baker. Your the one wanting to do guitars first. FORE + THOUGHT. Are you recording something you never heard before, or what : )

If you need to do the click, work it in as you say. You just need to get some run through under your belt

Im no ginger baker ;)

Well, that is common. hahah But, down the line maybe figure out a way to lay down drum and bass that you can use as the tick-tock.

You'll probably want to record over track one, anyway.

To get the most out of four track, there is a process you can follow.

1 Record stuff on tracks 1 ,2 & 3, then bounce down to track 4.
2 Record stuff on tracks 1 & 2 (over-writing what you had before), then bounce to track 3.
3 Record stuff on track 2 and keep.
4 Record stuff on track 1 and keep

That gives you seven tracks with the smallest number of generatiions.

If you want to go a step further, you can get 10 tracks, by playing and recording another instrument as you are doing the bouncing.

My son was doing this 20 years ago but found the build up of noise a big buggeration.
My first solution was a hi-fi sound video recorder (an early JVC which did not have AVC but a switchable limiter and superb LED meters) This allowed 4 tracks to be mixed down to stereo then bounced back with no noise penalty.

Today of course you have the near perfection of digital storage!

Dave.

Back