TAP Electronics

Partner with Tascam for repairs,---> TAP Electronics Anyone got any tips on this place>? they seem horrible to do business with

I should have known this would be a nightmare, I think Sal the guy answering emails there just answers emails all day long. They have had my vintage tascam unit over 2 months now , when I first got my initial repairs quote it took them a couple days but I agreed to it, I was thinking it would be just a couple of months but from the get go I was worried they didn't receive my unit because I am in ohio and just purchased it recently. He replied to me that he was real busy because he got a pallet full of units for repair and he suggested from the get go that he could ship it right back to me if I wanted. I wanted a professional to look at it so I said no.

He checked it in and a few days later I got my quote. I honestly didn't want to spend this much money on the thing but I agreed to the repair quote without getting an explanation to what was exactly wrong other then line amps they say are bad, but THAT wasn'y t the reason I sent it in , it was the tapedeck that wouldn't work but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

He did warn me they were backlogged but if you try to get time limits or ask how bad they are backlogged he won't give you an answer.

So it has been over two months and I messaged him maybe 4 weeks ago and I think one time before that and he said they are still waiting to get the parts needed for the repair.

I emailed monday we emailed back n forth a few times, the other times they were just check in's to see the progress, but this time we sent a few messages back n forth. I wanted the tapedeck to record and play because that was the reason I sent it in but on the quote it said they are repairing the line amps and literally that's it, that and labor fee's an stuff. He is so sick of repeating himself also I could tell but he mentioned the fact that the old parts arent manufactured anymore. So I asked if he would just repair the problem I had only and he is impossible to get answers from but all he said is he would get back to me on a better details about info on the repairs.

Two days pass and I was getting worked up and worried about it and I sent a few emails asking, and Sal said that he told me from the get go they or over logged (how bad I have no idea, good luck getting that answer from him) HE SAID I can't force them for answers because how bad they are there with repairs and he would send the unit back to me and BANN ME FROM GETTING REPAIRS THERE or I can continue to get my unit repaired there.

I replied back , I thought it through but I replied that I want to continue with the repairs but I didn't want to get blacklisted for asking a simple question. I asked him to reply back to me on how much time he needed and me the dummy I am apologized to him, the guy threatening to blacklist me I said sorry I am just getting worked up over it and I am outdoors and getting my blood all boiled up about it.

I did not get a reply back from him.

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't have any experience with this company but I've had some unusual experiences with companies this year - The whole pandemic thing is quite telling.
Most are under some kind of pressure but the real important detail for me is how they're handling it in terms of communication and customer support.

I've had people fail to fulfil orders silently then I'm having to chase them 2 weeks later to find out, 'oh, that's not in stock'. So I have to ask you for a refund?
I've had plenty of other companies bend over backwards to compensate or, at least, keep the customer informed.

If your guy was clear from go that there'd be a lengthy delay on any repair then that's fair enough but it sounds like he wasn't very specific about it?
If that's the case I think I think a rough estimate should have been given. 'We're seeing an average turn-around of 4-6 weeks"...something like that.

Giving you the option to bow out and get your unit back is good and fair but that's probably a stage too late.
I think you should have had a rough idea of the time scale before shipping to them, so you could have made the choice at that stage.
If that wasn't given I think you're quite right in pressing for it.

Maybe someone here has direct experience with this company and can offer more. If it was me I think I'd just get in touch explaining that you're happy to wait and understand the current delays,
but would just like a rough idea of the time scale, say, in weeks.

Threatening to ban you doesn't seem like a great sign but, then, we don't know the exact conversations that went on and what tones were used.

Bottom line, I guess, is you want them to do the repairs and they have it now so, right or wrong, there's probably not a lot to gain from rocking the boat.
I'd want a time-scale and they should understand that but, at this stage, it doesn't really make a lot of difference I suppose?

no time scale was given, I'll admit I was at work outdoors doing a physical job and my blood was boiling, I sent a bunch of emails, but he put minimal effort into his posts and if you make him angry he threatens to blacklist you.

I can't even get a "oh yeah" " it says line amp on the service quote because it's a common problem"

if they put more explanation behind it, ya know?
He is acting like he's a god and he is swamped with service orders.

LOT OF PEOPLE VIEWING THIS POST AND ONLY ONE COMMENT, TYPICAL IN THE MUSIC WORLD I GUESS EVERYONE IS UP THEIR OWN BUTTHOLES.

would be nice if I had a friend to help me out with things of this nature. tips and tricks , I need more of those people in my life.

Usually in cases like this the most important things are stating your case clearly and concisely, being patient, and remaining calm and respectful.
It's about all you can do.

LOT OF PEOPLE VIEWING THIS POST AND ONLY ONE COMMENT, TYPICAL IN THE MUSIC WORLD I GUESS EVERYONE IS UP THEIR OWN BUTTHOLES.

would be nice if I had a friend to help me out with things of this nature. tips and tricks , I need more of those people in my life.

THere's not a lot anyone can do, except offer sympathy and flowers.

As for tips and trciks, one effective one is to control your anger. People respond more favourably to kindness than to hostility.

In your first sentence you ask if anyone had any tips about the place. I've never heard of them, don't know who or where they are, or if they are reliable. I have no advice to give, other than I would prefer to call someone rather than sending emails back and forth. it's easier to ask questions and get a clear response, vs a long chain of increasingly hostile messages. Surely they have a phone number listed.

:facepalm:

That sort of response is guaranteed to win you many sympathetic votes and universal brotherhood considerations.

Firstly, yes, you may get many views but unless someone has specific experience of that particular company, what can they say to you ? You asked if anyone had any tricks or tips in dealing with them. Would you be happy with 35 people replying saying "no" ?

Secondly, your title is so ambiguous and non-specific that I suspect many people might be like me ~ clicking on the title just to find out what the thread is about. For all anyone knows, it could be about how to optimize a cheap electric guitar so one can employ Eddie Van Halen style tapping techniques. I'd almost stake my life {note, I said 'almost' !} that no one knew before clicking what the thread was going to be about.

Thirdly, stating that everyone is up their own buttholes is bloody rude, immature, judgmental, presumptuous, contemptuous and childish in the extreme. We live in different parts of the world with differing time zones, we all have lives that span different parts of the 24 hour clock, we all have priorities and don't spend our every waking moment sitting at the computer, tablet or phone waiting for someone, whose existence we are not aware of or do not particularly remember, to post a question that we can't possibly know is coming. I, for one haven't had time for a day and a half or so to go through all the posts on HR that I might be interested in. I've seen your post for the first time just now.

OK, now that we've got that out of the way, it's hard to sympathize with you because of your attitude. But I do sympathize with you because when one is hot to trot, you want to get on with recording/mixing and any delay, even a reasonable one, can be infuriating.
I'd just say, give e~mail Sal some slack, exercise some patience and look forward to the day when your baby returns and the two of you can carry on making beautiful music together, at your leisure.

Ever since Gibson bought Teac/Tascam in 2013 and laid off their whole Service Dept. in L.A., the two companies that get the farmed out repairs do not have a very good reputation. The man to send R2Rs to is Adrian Pro Audio service in Canoga Park Ca. , or Sam Palermo in Chicago. What model do you own?

i bought it on reverb, it's an 8 track that takes cassettes

thanks for the tips, i googled the chicago guy and it says he is in his 60's, but I will follow up with them once I get it back from TAP electronics, i'm afraid they won't send it back to me.

he says he has too much work and the parts are hard to come by because they aren't manufactured anymore

but it's driving me crazy, i'm just not feeling this waiting part and don't have anything else to record on

I realize this is no help.. As a previous 688 owner I'm just comiserating here.

I bought mine new in the 90's and used it up until 2009 when I had to sell it. Even though it suffered some abuse (no physical damage), it performed flawlessly the whole time. I took very good care and it was in perfect operational and appearance condition when I sold it.

As I read posts from this forum and other's across the web, I often wonder if mine has deteriorated to the same degree as many have. I also fantasize about how much I could get for the perfect condition original owner's operator manual I included in that last sale - maybe enough to get me a good microphone.

Ever since Gibson bought Teac/Tascam in 2013 and laid off their whole Service Dept. in L.A., the two companies that get the farmed out repairs do not have a very good reputation. The man to send R2Rs to is Adrian Pro Audio service in Canoga Park Ca. , or Sam Palermo in Chicago. What model do you own?

I sent it out in august ground shipping. so it's been like 2 months and a couple weeks. how long should I be giving them? The situation is bad there. I just know he will try to convince me to keep it there if I ask for it back. waiting seems it's the nature of the repair business on old stuff and he makes it out that its nearly impossible to get someone willing to work on them. I think i'm getting stockholme syndrome from him.

"Fixing the line amps" Hmmmm, sounds like doublespeak. Exactly what is the problem you are having? Please be detailed. Unless it's some kind of mechanical part, the parts are commonly available.

"Fixing the line amps" Hmmmm, sounds like doublespeak. Exactly what is the problem you are having? Please be detailed. Unless it's some kind of mechanical part, the parts are commonly available.

I rather not have this conversation because I just wanted a professional to look at it and I feel stupid. I'll get it back, i'm gonna give them a little time and I would be surprised if they get to it in the next two weeks.

thanks for the replys. I did not know Gibson bought them out.

Gibson filed for bankruptcy in 2018 so I am sure this is directly related, I may call or email tomorrow for it back. https://sonicscoop.com/2018/05/01/g...-bankruptcy-owners-of-tascam-krk-and-stanton/

I could be totally wrong but I feel they are giving me the run around so I purchase a model 12 tascam or one of the newer digital ones.

Last edited:

I asked for it back and he fed me a bunch of crap about quality control. I paid 750 for this thing plus another amount for the shipping , I tested out the soundboard, it was working. only the tape deck wouldn't record and the screws were stripped so and I didn't have the tools to take them off to mess with the belt and I told them this many times. He talked me into it again but once I asked for the price to drop he said he has too much to do and he said he will ship it back to me so we are square. I paid a lot for it and the price quote is too high for a working machine. I hope he does send it back because getting through to them is impossible. Seems I called his bluff, that's how they do business but he talks a good game about how amazing they are. I don't know what to do if he doesn't send it back. Am I in the wrong here? he wants 800 for labor and parts!!

I should have just bought the drill and did it myself from the get go. I know the thing is working. I'm spent I got a darn credit card and who knows when this stimulus is coming for Americans.

I don't think he knows we are having this conversation. I honestly just want them to send it back, I made a mistake dealing with them. What should I do if He doesn't set up the shipping info and is bluffing?
ANYONE VIEWING please chime in

Last edited:
The 688 is a pretty big machine and tearing into it to fix/replace parts and then reassemble could be a substantial amount of bench time for a tech. I'd guess about $80-90/hr might be about the charged rate (I didn't find it on their site. Did they mention it in the repair quote or just a flat rate?). At a minimum maybe 6 hours depending the stripped screw issue and what they would do about. If the stripped screw is in the transport they may opt to replace the transport if one would be available and that likely won't be cheap. Having to drill out a screw usually isn't good and doesn't leave a good area to re-tap a thread if needed.

Generally good reviews with at least one complaining about turn around time. Looks like they repair just about anything electronic including washing machines and don't specialize in music gear or closely related.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tap-electronics-buena-park-2

I bought a 688 back in 1995 and I think it was just a shade over $2000 with tax. Had a lot of fun with it, but always had a hard time figuring out how to get things routed in the menus. I should get it out and see if it still works.

thanks for you input mark, is see where you are coming from, he is being difficult. All I said on the phone was I am thinking the price should go down a little and he said he has to much to do and he will just ship it back to me because he doesn't want to go back n forth..I was thinking they thought I didn't test it out and that the sound board wasn't working, I did test out a microphone and got a signal. I was obsessing over it inside my head that maybe they didn't think I knew anything was working, I have a history of mental problems.

possibly I am being a little to crazy about it, this is my first time repairing something this old, i'm not as good at it as him. I payed a good amount for a machine that was listed as very good condition, I got a small partial refund because the tape deck wouldn't record or rewind and fast foward and stuff, I get where you are coming from but there's one on ebay and I could buy that one and pay less and I will have two of them
I see your point.
I am broke and I thought I gave him a machine that was in very good condition, i thought bringing it up at least was appropriate because of the condition I believe the machine is in

Last edited:
the money is getting to my mental health if that makes any sense, i feel safe when im not stressed out of anything, music is a stressful job when you'e broke, ide be much happier if i could just find a bigger apartment and nothing to do.

I have had some bad comments made to me about the remaining places that are near LA. Adrian is probably the only good one in CA. I dealt with the one across the street from the Teac building and a guy Simon was to call me back with an answer- of course he never did and I am sure he had no answer anyway.
Why do I get so many products from California and many other places? You tell me.

Back