Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: suggest a low cost basic studio that you would think sounds okay

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Before I made any recommendations (especially for mics and software), I would ask - what type of music is being recorded and what instruments? What is the budget? What ist the ultimate goal - long term? YOU specified MIDI, but most 'beginner level' MIDI gear these days has USB rather than DIN connectors. And most beginners are not going to be starting with recording 4 simultaneous tracks at one time (2 mics and 2 line inputs per your definition).

that is part of the problem with saying what is best for the job isnt it

i dont think the type of music or instruments is really an issue except for the mike selection
    so just suggest what is a good starting point for a typical person with a little bit of room to grow

the budget is whatever it takes to get the gear suggested
    but if folks go all batstuff crazy with their suggestions then it might not be affordable
    so assume what fits your budget that you could live with to start out recording with

probably not 4 simultaneous tracks but do want to do stereo hence two mikes and two pres
    sometimes a line input is needed so two of those to avoid buying a new device right away

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post

i dont think the type of music or instruments is really an issue except for the mike selection
    so just suggest what is a good starting point for a typical person with a little bit of room to grow

but if folks go all batstuff crazy with their suggestions then it might not be affordable
    so assume what fits your budget that you could live with to start out recording with

probably not 4 simultaneous tracks but do want to do stereo hence two mikes and two pres
    sometimes a line input is needed so two of those to avoid buying a new device right away
    Well here you go. Reaper, UR22 and vague answer has finally been given.

Can you sleep now?

Suddenly Philly cheese steaks do not sound so tasty....
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Here you go...some proof and facts on what it takes to build a recording studio at three price/quality levels ...but I bet this is not what you had in mind!
    Sorry...but they didn't do a $300 level.

Build Your Own Studio: The $35,000 Studio

Build Your Own Studio: This $50,000 Studio

Build Your Own Studio: The $100,000 Studio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Here you go...some proof and facts on what it takes to build a recording studio at three price/quality levels ...but I bet this is not what you had in mind!
    Sorry...but they didn't do a $300 level.

Build Your Own Studio: The $35,000 Studio

Build Your Own Studio: This $50,000 Studio

Build Your Own Studio: The $100,000 Studio
    cheapskate

Thanks
    I started my home studio with a $69 Lexicon Alpha and a shit desktop. Came with Cubase LE5.

Was it awesome? Nope.

Did it work? Yep.

Did I realize that there was better gear? Yep.

Did I move forward from my experience? Yep.

Did I ask others to help lead me in the right direction? Yep.

Did it work? Yep.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    just want to know what you would recommend to a friend if he asked you about starting his home studio
    Oh god! Here we go again. You really have no life do you? The other thread just didn't fully satisfy?
    Another hypothetical thread with little to do with the real world, but gives you something to do for days.

Ok, I'll play but just this one time.

Real world.
    Since kids today are too lazy to read and half can't, they'll head straight over to youtube and sooner or later find Graham Cochrane and the Recording Revolution channel. The 350 dollar challenge will come up and they'll buy whatever he recommends.
    And a month later they'll be experts.

Now, If I was helping a freind out? Simple, just sell him gear that was perfectly good, but I had outgrown. Kind of how the younger siblingss get the clothes brothers and sisters have outgrown.

Then with the proceeds, along with some out of pocket money, I'd go buy better gear.
    But I wouldn''t tell you what it might be cause you'll just start to aurgue.

Oh, almost forgot
    Midi,. What if they were in a punk band and didn't need any midi gear? Now that would save some money, wouldn't it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Oh god! Here we go again. You really have no life do you? The other thread just didn't fully satisfy?
    Another hypothetical thread with little to do with the real world, but gives you something to do for days.

Ok, I'll play but just this one time.

Real world.
    Since kids today are too lazy to read and half can't, they'll head straight over to youtube and sooner or later find Graham Cochrane and the Recording Revolution channel. The 350 dollar challenge will come up and they'll buy whatever he recommends.
    And a month later they'll be experts.

Now, If I was helping a freind out? Simple, just sell him gear that was perfectly good, but I had outgrown. Kind of how the younger siblingss get the clothes brothers and sisters have outgrown.

Then with the proceeds, along with some out of pocket money, I'd go buy better gear.
    But I wouldn''t tell you what it might be cause you'll just start to aurgue.

Oh, almost forgot
    Midi,. What if they were in a punk band and didn't need any midi gear? Now that would save some money, wouldn't it.

thank you

i like that 350 dollar studio that cochrane suggests

perhaps you would care to point out the faults before i actually waste my money buying that system

Thanks
    I have no friends but if I did, I would tell them to buy an i-Mac and an Apogee Duet. Then use Garageband for free and pickup a budget-level Audio Technica LDC or maybe a similar model by Shure. Get a mic stand, too, and a pair of AKG 240 headphones and call it a day. If they wanted to have a keyboard, they can use Garageband's musical typing feature.

If they didn't want to use a Mac, I would scorn them and end the friendship.

Thanks
    Any of the interfaces we talk about daily - probably one that comes with a version of Cubase. Same with mics - any from our usual list. You can get going very cheaply nowadays. In fact, there's such a small amount of rubbish around, anything works - almost.

Thanks
    perhaps you would care to point out the faults before i actually waste my money buying that system
    Are you just making this up, or do you actually have no recording gear at this point?

So maybe you really don't have any gear. A typical audio interface with 2 mic preamps will have combo input jacks that are also line inputs. Of course what a person is recording is important when it comes to choosing gear. The person recording finger-played acoustic guitar wiht no vocals can use different stuff than the person who has is recording rap over pre-recorded tracks, etc.

When you say 'budget is whatever it takes' it makes me believe you are just trolling again. Budget IS a major consideration for a beginner. ANd what they want to accompish with the recordings - do they just want to record rough demos so their band gets an idea what the song is supposed to be like? DO they want to get comfortable wiht a microphone and get arrangements down before going to a professional recording studio, etc. Knowing what the person wants to do - and their experience and abilities is part of the qualification procedure in making recommendations.
    Here's a perfectly adequate beginner package: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...o-pack-2nd-gen
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information