Stupid Question on File Types

nate_dennis

I really feel dumb asking this ....but here it goes.....

What file type is used on commercial CDs? I read somewhere that it involved a ".CCD" and two others, but I'm not sure if that's right. I guess, if I wanted to burn off a CD that is commercial quality what file type would I want to use? I've used ".wav" but I don't know if that's the best file type. Thanks for your help.

Nate

heres an idea: pop a cd into the cd drive on your computer and look at the file types. you will then have your answer.

I really feel dumb asking this ....but here it goes.....

What file type is used on commercial CDs? I read somewhere that it involved a ".CCD" and two others, but I'm not sure if that's right. I guess, if I wanted to burn off a CD that is commercial quality what file type would I want to use? I've used ".wav" but I don't know if that's the best file type. Thanks for your help.

Nate

.wav is generally the cd file format. But just remember, if you want to burn a
cd that is broadcast quality, don't use files that were once compressed files
such as mp3/wma etc. wav/aiff/flac are "lossless" which means full quality.
"lossy" formats like mp3 reduce the quality, and once this has been done, it's
irreversable. So if you have a wav file and convert it to mp3, you can convert
it back to wav but it's still going to be "lossy" if you know what I mean.

If you've any questions about the blabber I just spilled, give me a shout :D

Red Book CD standard (well, you wouldn't + couldn't use anything else) is 16bit 44.1khz PCM, which basically relates to uncompressed PCM WAV when working on the computer.

You have to be slightly wary when working with WAV files though because it isn't always uncompressed PCM... it can be used as a wrapper for a different codec / lossy compression. I suppose its similar to the association that people have with AVI files and uncompressed video, yet its the container of choice for xvid/divx mpeg-4 videos :) Basically, just double check what you're working with.

if you put in a CD and check the file type, you'll probably see it as a .cda, which is just header info and shit like that as far as I know..it isnt the type of file that the music is..

ahh...it does say cda. somethin etc ...

On a side note, I also found a slip of paper inside my computer when I was blowin it out that said
"Dog...stay the hell outta here"

:p

Last time my friend went thru it for me he musta left me a love note. :D

(i'm not very good with computers in case ya couldn't tell :))

whats up whats up........

CDs are uncompressed wav files at 44.1 and or 16 bit.

Im sure you already know.....but Mp3 files don't sound as good as an uncrompressed wav file.....like whats on a cd. This is because....when you compress an Mp3 file you are losing what is called "DYNAMIC RANGE". The more a file is compressed = the more it loses its "DYNAMIC RANGE"....meaning the sound quality.....or clarity, also goes down hill as well.

CDs are uncompressed wav files at 44.1 and or 16 bit.

Im sure you already know.....but Mp3 files don't sound as good as an uncrompressed wav file.....like whats on a cd. This is because....when you compress an Mp3 file you are losing what is called "DYNAMIC RANGE". The more a file is compressed = the more it loses its "DYNAMIC RANGE"....meaning the sound quality.....or clarity, also goes down hill as well.

call me stupid, but I dont believe mp3's lose dynamic range..

recording for dummies huh? well aren't you proud?

lol im gonna stop now. this might get ugly. :D

lol, it doesnt need to...

the compression we use on vocals, guitars etc, THAT limits dynamic range...

file compressions (wav to mp3 ; jpeg compression) does not..

Back