Stumped On A Focusrite Issue: Monitoring{SOLVED}

System: Logic Pro X 10.6.1
Focusrite 4I4 Scarlett Gen 3
Mac OS: 11.1

When using the interface with mics and Ads, I can monitor everything normally in the headphones. Been doing fine for 2 weeks making tracks.

BUT, today I wanted to plug my Strat into the Scarlett. So, I used the Focusrite SW to set the input 2 to instrument, and I can RECORD my guitar just fine, but I can not find a way to monitor that input at all. The other tracks monitor just fine, but not the guitar track.

Must be one of the millions of settings somewhere, but I am stumped!

Thanks

System: Logic Pro X 10.6.1
Focusrite 4I4 Scarlett Gen 3
Mac OS: 11.1

When using the interface with mics and Ads, I can monitor everything normally in the headphones. Been doing fine for 2 weeks making tracks.

BUT, today I wanted to plug my Strat into the Scarlett. So, I used the Focusrite SW to set the input 2 to instrument, and I can RECORD my guitar just fine, but I can not find a way to monitor that input at all. The other tracks monitor just fine, but not the guitar track.

Must be one of the millions of settings somewhere, but I am stumped!

Thanks
I actually don't have that version of Logic Pro X yet (maybe a 64-bit version - I'm still on Mojave). Anyway...

Are you saying you can hear what's recorded afterwards, but not during recording? Is Auto-Input Monitoring set in the Record menu? (Need to have Advanced Options showing.) Does it matter whether you toggle the Input Monitoring button in the channel header? Maybe have a plugin that's not outputting something with Input Monitoring enabled? Does sound a bit puzzling...

I actually don't have that version of Logic Pro X yet (maybe a 64-bit version - I'm still on Mojave). Anyway...

Are you saying you can hear what's recorded afterwards, but not during recording? Is Auto-Input Monitoring set in the Record menu? (Need to have Advanced Options showing.) Does it matter whether you toggle the Input Monitoring button in the channel header? Maybe have a plugin that's not outputting something with Input Monitoring enabled? Does sound a bit puzzling...

You nailed it! I have no idea how, but that box got unchecked. Upon checking it again, all works right now!
I have only had the SW a couple weeks, and I'm still bewildered by the plethora of "settings" which seem to be unending!

Thanks!

You nailed it! I have no idea how, but that box got unchecked. Upon checking it again, all works right now!
I have only had the SW a couple weeks, and I'm still bewildered by the plethora of "settings" which seem to be unending!
Just checked - you have to use the Focusrite Control software to set up "direct monitoring" of inputs on the Scarlett 4i4, i.e., there is not a switch or knob to control that on the interface itself. (The interface's default is to play the return output from the DAW, while it seems Logic's default is to assume direct monitoring!) So, without doing that (setting direct monitoring via the app), you *only* have the round-trip Input Monitoring option to be able to hear the input. If there's too much latency, you'll want to investigate trying direct monitoring in the app. You will lose the Amp Designer and all that stuff in the monitor mix, though.

Direct Monitoring on the Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen – Focusrite Audio Engineering

I can see I’m going to have to study that FR video very closely. I kinda wish that the interface had physical switches rather than this software setup.��

I can see I’m going to have to study that FR video very closely. I kinda wish that the interface had physical switches rather than this software setup.��
FWIW, I never used direct monitoring with my old Saffire and Mini. I did check the Low Latency option in the LPX Record menu if I was hearing latency. it will disable some of some plugins that it recognizes as being among "the usual [latency-inducing] suspects," like reverb. And, another thread here (Cubase IIRC), you can try freezing tracks (configure track headers to show this button) in some instances, though you can't freeze the one you are recording :).

Back