Studio monitors - Where are the [i]low[/i] frequencies? Subwoofer...?

Radio Panic

Can somebody help me? Been shopping for some relatively inexpensive near-field monitors. Unlike headphones, a monitor's specified frequency range rarely goes below 50Hz or so, and never even approaches 20Hz, which I understand is the generally accepted lower limit of human hearing. (whew.) So the question is: Do I need a subwoofer? Is this something I even need to worry about? I searched around these forums, but this doesn't seem to have come up.

I need something soon, since I'm currently alternating between some Sorny 7506 headphones and my old 15" stage monitors w/horn. I don't imagine the speakers are a very flat or accurate, plus they're bulky and awkward and impossible to place where they ideally should be placed. And I keep reading "don't mix with headphones!"

:confused:

Check out Event....

...the 20/20s or the PS series...

You don't NEED a sub, decent nearfields should be fine... (incidently, nearfields aren't generally designed for kicking you in the face with extreme sound level and deep thump - you need midfields for that -- but you aren't usually mixing at those levels anyways -- somewhere between 85 and 90db SPL is typical mixing level)

Bruce

Back