Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio monitors really boomy bassy?

Thanks

Studio monitors really boomy bassy?

Sign in to disable this ad
    For weeks I've been struggling to get my mix sounding right everything sounded really muddy but if I dropped the bass guitar track volume it would help but the bass would be too low in the mix...

However I decided to render my song down to MP3 and played it in my car... Wow the bass sounds really tight and punchy and if anything could do with a slight boost!

The ew is flat so there's no tweaking from the cars audio system.. so it's either my studio monitors or how it was rendered any thoughts?

Makes me wanna balance with cheap earphones with how it is coming out of the speakers.

I mean everything is soo much clearer...

Thanks
    Assuming you've got good monitors for your mixing space, the usual culprits are room treatment and monitor placement.

P.S. You've got 44 posts, why is this in Newbies?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    What speakers are you monitoring on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    What speakers are you monitoring on?
    these ones

Studiospares Seiwin 5A Studio Monitors + Monitor Stands - Studio Monitors - Headphones & Speakers - Studiospares

I have them sat about 10 feet away from me on those stand and above head height when im sitting down in my living room... I also use them as tv speakers sat at each side of my tv if that gives you an idea of the setup.

---------- Update ----------

thought best since im still asking newbie questions I suppose lol

Thanks
    The Selwins' specifications give a frequency Range of 70Hz-20KHz, which means their bass response will be a bit limited.

Also, there is a good chance that if you push the bass on them, that will only increase the muddy boxiness. And if you cut the bass, you may reduce the bass that really needs to be there. The best strategy is to leave the bottom end alone, and go to other sources to check that (e.g. car, headphones). The Selwins would be great for checking mid-range qualities of a track.

Thanks
    What Gecko said ^^^ At that price range, including those stands, they are 'starter' speakers. Assume there are rear bass ports on them, I can't find any frequency spectrum analysis of them. Do you have them near corners in your living room? Assuming your living room is like most, you have carpet, some padded furniture, sheetrock walls - all combining to absorb some highs and bounce a lot of soundwaves around. With a 70Hz low end on those speakers, you can't hear any notes below the 'D of the D string, you are just hearing the harmonics, and the same is probably true of your car's system.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    hey sorry for slow replies.

I have my tv sitting right under my window with both the stand sitting either side with a bit of distance... so probably ten feet from me and they sit about 6 feet apart from each other creating a triangle shape between me and them.

no carpet solid wood floor, not sure about the walls its a modern flat if that helps.

Yeah the bass on the monitors is just a muddy bass sound but when played on the car audio system you can really just here the punch of the notes clearly and every other instrument becomes clear to the ear.

I agree with the checking the bass elsewhere, as to me in the living room the bass is right where it should be if not a bit muddy but definitely sounds louder than any other part bar the kick drum.

once played in the car the bass is lower in the mix and everything else comes through much clearer.

But I've also noticed rhythm guitar parts also sound thin on the car speakers and quieter compared to when played on the monitors so I guess these monitors are throwing of my balancing stage.

I might invest in decent headphones... I actually prefer it for hearing all the little added extra parts that headphone listeners can only hear... are most people opposed to headphone mixing ? would you suggest a set ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    What Gecko said ^^^ At that price range, including those stands, they are 'starter' speakers. Assume there are rear bass ports on them, I can't find any frequency spectrum analysis of them. Do you have them near corners in your living room? Assuming your living room is like most, you have carpet, some padded furniture, sheetrock walls - all combining to absorb some highs and bounce a lot of soundwaves around. With a 70Hz low end on those speakers, you can't hear any notes below the 'D of the D string, you are just hearing the harmonics, and the same is probably true of your car's system.
    below the D ? are we talking about a detuned guitar or the d string on a normal 6 string guitar … whats lower than low on an open d ?

Thanks
    on the flipside songs where I always felt the bass was too low in the mix on other speakers - televisions marque moon for example.... sounds fantastic on the speakers as it adds a bit more boom to it and brings it a bit more forward than on my car speakers etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fendertelemusik View Post
    hey sorry for slow replies.

I have my tv sitting right under my window with both the stand sitting either side with a bit of distance... so probably ten feet from me and they sit about 6 feet apart from each other creating a triangle shape between me and them.

no carpet solid wood floor, not sure about the walls its a modern flat if that helps.

Yeah the bass on the monitors is just a muddy bass sound but when played on the car audio system you can really just here the punch of the notes clearly and every other instrument becomes clear to the ear.

I agree with the checking the bass elsewhere, as to me in the living room the bass is right where it should be if not a bit muddy but definitely sounds louder than any other part bar the kick drum.

once played in the car the bass is lower in the mix and everything else comes through much clearer.

But I've also noticed rhythm guitar parts also sound thin on the car speakers and quieter compared to when played on the monitors so I guess these monitors are throwing of my balancing stage.

I might invest in decent headphones... I actually prefer it for hearing all the little added extra parts that headphone listeners can only hear... are most people opposed to headphone mixing ? would you suggest a set ?
    Ten (10) feet away from your monitors is not ideal. Hence why they are called 'nearfield' monitors when they are that size. The room they are in contribute to the issues you are hearing.

If there is any way you can get closer to the monitors (like 4' and reduce the width between them to match) you will likely get better results.

That being said, the monitors themselves may be lacking in certain ways that are compounding your room issue.

I am not the biggest fan of headphones unless I have to use them for recording. Though they can be beneficial for listening in detail when editing. So I am sorry I don't have any suggestions on ones for mixing.

Over the years I have learned the importance of a well acoustically treated room and good monitor speakers. Started off with inexpensive treatment and crap monitors. Had to go back and forth all the time to other systems in order to make a guess on mixes. I still do that, but more like 5 times for a full album mix as apposed to 30 before I was able to invest in what was needed.

Start with narrowing the distance from your monitors if possible. That should help quite a bit. Even in my treated room, 10' back from my A7x monitors sounds quite different than being at the desk 4' away. Then look at adding some acoustic panels (not foam) if you are serious about getting your mix translation under control.

Best to ya ftm!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information