Studio monitors really boomy bassy?

There is no way to verify those apps will be accurate without a calibration file for the phone's mic. Even for SPL measuring. Being most cell phone mics suck, I would put very little stock in these apps. Dayton audio makes a measurement mic specifically for cell phone measuring apps.

Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for Tablets iPhone iPad and Android

I have this mic and speaking from experience, even with this mic the mic pre in most cell phones are too easily overdriven and will not give accurate spl measurements though it can give decently accurate measurements of freq response.

I ordered one myself. Just out of curiosity. Thanks for the link Jam!

Are you using the recommended 'Audio Tool' for android? Or are you an Iphone user?

https://uk.farnell.com/tenma/st-95/...851225&CATCI=aud-157604796549:pla-57456878290

The above seems very suited to the task of calibrating monitors especially since it has the C weighting which is vital for this application according to all the expert comment I have read over several years. I do not mix or master music but I have had an abiding interest in music and sound recording and repro' for over 60 years. The idea of calibrating the tools that decide THE most and final results of your labours seem to me to be A Very Good One.
Becuase...

The "Fletcher- Munson" curves have been mentioned (now called "equal loudness contours I understand?). Since these show without question that one's appreciation of the relative level of bass and treble frequencies is level dependant it surely make sense to listen at some fairly consistent level, day to day?

People are variable! They get down, pissed off, sick with colds and having a known SPL to work at gotta help?

Ears fatigue and the higher the SPL you inflict upon them the sooner that fatigue kicks in. My son IS a musician and a bloody good one IMHO (he played. dad soldered and payed) and he tells me he can only cope with a loudish band for an hour or so then he finds it all turns to mush in his head.

Staying hearing safe.

Recording jobs can be protracted and many tracks come in at various times to be mixed. I cannot see how that stuff can get out the door with any kind of consistency if the monitoring levels are not kept the same?

In the broadcast world I understand they are very, very hot on levels going out "right"? To do that must, AFAICS require the mixing monitors to be consistent in X SPL for Y input volts.

The above is just some of the arguments I have read in favour of calibrating monitors. I am sure more can be thought of?

Dave.

I ordered one myself. Just out of curiosity. Thanks for the link Jam!

Are you using the recommended 'Audio Tool' for android? Or are you an Iphone user?

Audio Tool for android. I've tried it on a few cheap smartphones. Frequency response measurements were pretty consistent on the few phones I've used it on. A few cheap LG phones I've used clipped early so SPL measurements were inconsistent with one clipping above 68db and the other at around the high 70's. Luckily, the tool can detect clipping so you don't have to wonder why a bass drop and a shotgun blast are both 78db.
I would like to try some better/different phones and tablets to see which ones have better pres but I'm a cheap bastard and will keep a phone until it falls apart before buying a new one. :P

As an aside, that little mic worked excellent for me in REW just going directly into my PC's onboard sound.

Audio Tool for android. I've tried it on a few cheap smartphones. Frequency response measurements were pretty consistent on the few phones I've used it on. A few cheap LG phones I've used clipped early so SPL measurements were inconsistent with one clipping above 68db and the other at around the high 70's. Luckily, the tool can detect clipping so you don't have to wonder why a bass drop and a shotgun blast are both 78db.
I would like to try some better/different phones and tablets to see which ones have better pres but I'm a cheap bastard and will keep a phone until it falls apart before buying a new one. :P

Samsung Note 8 here. The software seems to work well even with the built in mic. But I will be comparing with the little mic and REW just to see where reality starts. :)

Thanks again. Running out of inexpensive toys to buy. lol!

,,, just to be clear, I know the phone app slp meters are likely not true/accurate,,, but works in a pinch for comparison purposes. I mentioned I have an old analog meter I prefer to use..
I suggested the SPL apps as a tool he can use to level match his monitors.. He can gain up or down from there, but at least his speakers can match levels, without spending a dime :D.

Also, Mix at what level is comfortable for you. I only mentioned I tend to mix around 75db for the most part, in my room, with my speakers, it's works for me, lol... And yes, pink noise is what is used...

Using a phone for spl meter to me is temporary, as all phones and their mics are different. And then have to depend on a developer to maintain it.

They still sell decent analog spl meters... Mine has lasted over 30 yrs.

Back