Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Studio monitors really boomy bassy?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've had a listen to the track. First thing that disturbed me was that there is about 4 minutes of tune, then 4 minutes of nothing.

The bass is not overly dominant, and nor is it offensive. It kinds of sits there ok without making a huge impression on the overall mix.

The guitars on the left and right I find to be overwhelming . . . they swamp everything when they come in, and don't seem to be well integrated into the mix. The centre field of the mix kind of sits alone in the background. There is also the occasional bit of timing tension, where things are quite sitting in time nicely together.

Thanks
    thanks for the feedback, its my first recording on the daw setup.

Yeah im having a hard time balancing I guess, I hear it on my studio speakers and end up turning my panned guitars up due to the bass being overly loud on them....

yet when I play it on my cars sound system the bass losses its boomyness and the bass sounds nice and punchy.. and the offending guitars then sound too loud.

its the monitors that are throwing me off I guess as I feel the need to turn the two panned guitars up to make them clear in the mix.

lol yeah no idea how it does that... when I render the track it adds 4 minutes.

Thanks
    yeah I have no idea why it does that... some notes seem to be louder than others... especially in the chorus when I move to the third fret those notes spike the overall output.

Can you recommend good headphones for mixing with without breaking the bank ? that give a real sound as I have always preferred mixing with them in the past ?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Caution! Deaf, old meds taking valve amp jockey with zero studio experience about to opine!

Well, I AM clinically deaf but I am pretty normal for bass below 200Hz or so and no, that track does not seem boomy.
    I also did not like the extreme panning of the guitars. But...

Surely the only way to judge the OP's bass issue would be a co-i pair at his sitting position?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fendertelemusik View Post
    thanks for the feedback, its my first recording on the daw setup.

Yeah im having a hard time balancing I guess, I hear it on my studio speakers and end up turning my panned guitars up due to the bass being overly loud on them....

yet when I play it on my cars sound system the bass losses its boomyness and the bass sounds nice and punchy.. and the offending guitars then sound too loud.

its the monitors that are throwing me off I guess as I feel the need to turn the two panned guitars up to make them clear in the mix.

lol yeah no idea how it does that... when I render the track it adds 4 minutes.
    I think you have made a good start. All the right elements are there, but they just need to be tamed a bit. I think your speakers are not helping you, as exemplified by the difference between them and, say, your car.

If you can't afford studio monitors, you may be better off mixing with headphones, even though they have their own issues. There are plenty of expensive options around, but if you are looking for cheap and reasonable, you might like to look at the Behringer HPX2000 (but definitely not the HPX1000 or 3000). The HPX2000 have a good bass response and a clean airy sound overall, and are surprisingly good for being so cheap.

What DAW are you using? I use Reaper, and its default for rendering is "entire project". This is usually ok, but sometimes you can plonk an item of something out of the way to the right and forget its there, then Reaper thinks it's part of the project when it comes to render. So as a rule I always select what I want to render and use that option instead fo the default.

Thanks
    yeah I have studio speakers but the ones I have from an earlier reply from yourself "The Selwins' specifications give a frequency Range of 70Hz-20KHz, which means their bass response will be a bit limite"d.... I will definitely look at those even as just something to bounce back and forth with the speakers when the speakers are cheating my ears.

Yes Reaper also... got it for the good cpu and ease of use, I must have had something I moved by accident to the end of the track possibly a fill lol

Thanks
    I just saw those headphones going for 10 pound :O I was planning on spending around 50 pounds should I stick with them or is there something even better around my price range ?

Thanks
    after some back and forth testing with my car system I've came to the conclusion its either the speakers or my room setup.

When I listen to songs that sound good in the car/ other outputs.... and the guitar parts come through cleanly when listened to on the monitors at home.. the bass sound hides the guitars to my ears.. if I leave the room and listen in from another room the bass issue isn't as bad.

on the flipside songs that lack bass in the car/other outputs like marque moon sound much better on the house monitors...

I've checked to see if windows 10 has an eq setting that I may have set to something other than flat but cant find it.. and same with my scarlett solo interface both have no eq settings so I imagine the output is flat.

The only other thing I can think of is I have my speakers both turned up full reason being is the volume markings are slightly off from each other on the speakers so didn't trust both were outputting at the same level... so just turned both up to max to leave out any chance of one speaker playing slightly louder... and control overall sound from the pc now.

now sure if any of this would make much difference.

Thanks
    Ahh,,, Ok, it's all about the room for you. The mix sounds balance tonally and levels. Not BooMy for me, as others also stated.

What are the room dimensions ? Length Width Hieght.
    WHat is your listening position ? Where you sit matters for Nearfield Monitoring, measure distance from Front wall, Back wall, Wall to right, wall to left.

Do you have any room treatment ?

Put your favorite track that you are familiar with, into the DAW. Hit play listen as 75 SPL, 80 SPL, and 90 SPL...
    If you find huge tonal changes, then those speakers, in that room, need to stay at the lower SPL. WHen pushed, the Room Modes kick in and destroy the balance. Room Treatment may fix it. Depending on things, a little treatment might get you 60% to 80% better mix experience and translation out of the room.

Thanks
    After following this thread for a while it seems to me that the low range of your monitors is what's giving you the problem. As well.......your listening position is CRITICAL with monitors. Sitting back in an untreated small room is likely just going to add to the perceived bass that you hear. When your monitors only reproduce 70 Hz for a low end........it IS likely that the room....unless its treated......will add to the bass you hear. If your monitors could go down to 50hz or at least 60Hz or lower......it would probably seem like the bass on your track is way too much in your room listening position........not too little. If you can't sit in a good spot.....which is in the center between your monitors equally as far from each one as they are from each other......then you're gonna have unwanted issues. So.....try to correct that. As for headphones......while I don't advise that you rely 100% on a headphone mix......they may not lie to you as much as your monitors seem to be. Don't cheap out on headphones though. Not to say that you have to break the bank.......but good headphones become more valuable over time as you learn to improve your mixes.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thread Information