Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio monitors really boomy bassy?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by fendertelemusik View Post
    below the D ? are we talking about a detuned guitar or the d string on a normal 6 string guitar … whats lower than low on an open d ?
    Below the D string on a bass, which is the same as the E string on a 6-string guitar tuned down to drop D.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Below the D string on a bass, which is the same as the E string on a 6-string guitar tuned down to drop D.
    That is a possible issue with eq/compression with drop - D - tuning. But likely not the issue here at all man.

The last thing you want to do is pull out the low end because your room/monitors are telling you to do so. You will work in mixing circles trying to find what works.

Been there and done it for years...

Either do/build/buy some suggested and viable room treatment, And/or upgrade your studio monitors. The two go together like peas and carrots.

That being said, most do not have that choice or budget to get to the point where checking in other environments is better.

I actually would like to give a good slap in the face to any studio that does not want you to listen outside of their monitoring environment.

I have in mind a few multi-million dollar studios that can go fuck themselves for not giving a shit about the artist/product. They are only there to take your money and finance their gear. May just be my experience but I have heard it over and over from others...

On a side/sad note: One of the cool guys that I was honored to know at FTM studio, passed away this week. He was an old school guy. I will be attending his funeral.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I see those speakers have rear ports? Try stuffing them with dense foam. NOT expanded poly! Or just gaffer tape a piece of 6mm MDF or similar over them to stop the port working.

Cheap speakers (sorry, but they are!) you see "overcook" port loading to produce an inflated bass that impresses the unitiated. I doubt the amplifiers in them have much cone control either?

All said about getting closer* and room treatment goes without of course..

*That means you will drive them less hard for a given SPL at the lugs and lower drive levels means less "bad behaviour". Also invest $20 in an C weighted Sound Level Meter and then read up on Mr Massive's Missive on Monotor Calibration. Listening too loud will boost bass and you cannot make valid judgements on different rooms and systems if your SPL levels are all over the shop.

Dave.

Thanks
    I third what Jimmys69 and ecc83 already said. Get your monitors closer to you and each other. My room is far from ideal and I have an incredibly tight 'triangle' with my reasoning being that, though I can't eliminate the room's influence on the sound, the sound from the speakers themselves will hit my ears soonest and hardest. Also, did you say your speakers are firing over your head? Try to aim so that the tweets are level with your ear holes.

Thanks
    Just for reference, my monitors are 3 feet apart and about 3 feet from where I sit and they are sitting on knock-off mopads. Not that I think mopads actually do much but they do make my speakers sit higher so the tweeters are level with my ears. (I know, sitting them on my desk isn't ideal but I don't have, nor do I have room for, speaker stands. I get decent results this way and my mixes do translate well.

P.S. Forgot to mention, I also use Sonarworks Reference for correction and have found it invaluable. Well worth the money for an easy solution for us man-cave engineers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Ahhh. That's explains it. I was wondering what one's knees had to do with anything.

:P

Thanks
    Hi fendertelemusik,

Re: your monitoring problems -- boominess, etc.:

Please take the time to google "Room mode calculator" and choose any one of the free apps that you will find. The free s/w is pretty simple to install and use. It asks you to enter the listening room dimensions -- length, width, height -- of your monitoring space. (If your room is odd sized, approximating is OK.)

Any of these apps will indicate a list of frequencies that are prone to "boominess" and also those that are prone to cancellation. Also, you will get an indication of the lowest possible accurate bass frequency based on the size of the room. This should indicate the "practical" / "accurate" lowest bass frequency that is possible in your "studio."

If you are unfamiliar with any of the terminology I've used so far -- or if you want to learn a few more of the essential techniques and facts about studio monitoring technology -- please buy any of the studio recording books available used for less that $10.00 online. Examples would be: Modern Recording Techniques by Huber et al., any recent edition, or Sound and Recording by Rumsey et al. or anything about studio monitoring by Paul White (of Sound on Sound magazine). All these books have one or more chapters about studio monitoring, how to set up, how to test, how to deal with boominess or cancellation, etc. (After this you might be better prepared to deal with cross-platform sound-balance checks and be better able to evaluate the quality of your present monitors.)

I hope this helps. Good luck with your recording!

Marc Mathieu, former Pres., Advanced Audio Engineering.

Thanks
    HI,, Could you post the song for audio reference please ? It should help.

Thanks
    sorry for slow replies been working here is a link cheers.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/attach...2&d=1566410765

Thanks
    Not hearing the boomy'. Second note in the bass passage (5th?) drops back some.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thread Information