Studio Monitor Question

TheNightman77

Hi All,

Admittedly silly question here that I don't know the answer to. I just added a second computer monitor screen to my home studio but don't really have the space for it on my mixing desk while keeping my studio monitors the appropriate distance apart and keeping them angled at the listener. Can I put the second computer monitor screen on one of the studio monitors in the interest of space, or is this a big recording no no?

Thanks!

I would say it depends. How big are the monitors and what kind of bass to they put out? Electrically, I don't think they would interfere with each other or anything? I would just worry that, if the monitors put out enough bass, it could shake the electronics inside the computer monitor and that wouldn't be good at all.

My concerns would be:

- Possibly some shaking, as mentioned. I don't know that' I'd be tremendously worried, but monitors (the visual kind) have a lot of little tiny connections in there, and I agree that you want to be on the safe side. Possiblity: put some sort of absorber in between. Either those fancy ones they sell for putting under (audio) monitors, or something generic and appropriate from the hardware store. Make sure it's not slippery (indeed, if it's grippy, you'll also get some protection against ...)

- The computer monitor falling off the audio monitor.

- The hefty magnet in the audio monitor somehow interfering with the computer monitor. That was a problem with CRTs (which do not, so far as I know, even exist any more), but I'm pretty sure it's not with a flat monitor. Might be something to check into if you're a worrier.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wary mostly because it's very rare that I see anything at all on top of studio monitors in a studio and I wasn't sure if that was because it affected the sound of the audio monitor at all. Since no one has mentioned that, I assume this isn't the case? You bring up good points about the electrical components in the computer monitor, though I don't know know much about computer equipment so wasn't overly concerned about that aspect originally. Thanks for the tips.

Looking into stands for the monitors would probably benefit me in the future too, but I'm a bit confined at the moment.

Electronically this is fine. Even if the magnets in the Yamms are not shielded, FST screens are not affected.

As for the shaking? Properly made speaker cabinets should not vibrate! It is "quality speaker 101" that cabs are inert and do not contribute to the sound in any way. Still, nothing is perfect so a 6mm rubber mat* would be a good idea. Do NOT however put anything on a guitar or bass cab!

The presence of the monitor will alter the tweeter dispersion a little making the stereo image less focused but I doubt your room is so perfect that you would notice!

*Mouse mat!
Dave.

I have my genuine English Mathmos red/purple lava lamp on top of one of my monitors - much more precious than a crappy PC monitor - never even considered it an issue because, because, because... as ecc83 pointed out above... they don't shake.:)

Back