Studio monitor question

There are a good few things you can look at.

The quality of the monitors and signal path is very important.

Room treatment is a big deal as you mention, but also your positioning within that room is critical.

Speaker height, angle of the speakers, distance from walls and corners, isolation from solid surfaces....All of these things count.

Does that help at all?

Sure does, but like most helpful info about this stuff....im just more confused than i was at first...which might be good....so i know what i DONT KNOW...i guess.....

Speakers are on stands elevated about 3.5 feet from the ground...they aim at my head at 30 degree angles (each one at a 30 degree angle) the stands have some kind of vibration isolating pads on em....problem is everything I mix with them sounds like refried crap...i got so used to perfecting the sound on cheap speakers that now that my dream has come true and i have studio quality monitors I gotta start from scratch I guess. ..

I gotta start from scratch I guess. ..

This is it I'm afraid.

I wrote a whole thing out for you but I just deleted it because I found this, and this with a diagram.

I didn't read it in full (although I will now), but SOS have a rep for giving out great info.
Take it all onboard. :)

That said,
There are seasoned professionals on here who will tell you that monitoring should never be compromised.
They are right......

but not everyone has the space, time or money to get it all right.

If you do nothing else, point the speakers the right way at the right height away from any walls, then just really
really get to know them.

Listen to familiar records over and over; Use them as your hifi.

When you get the the point where other speakers sound strange to you, you're starting to know your monitors.

Back