Struggling to output the sound from a dynamic mic via the speakers on a computer

vasil.christov

Hi guys,

I am new to audio stuff even though I have been singing my whole life. Hope you can help.

I bought a mic (Shure Beta 58A) which I connected to my audio interface (M-Audio M-track Plus) which is directly connected to my computer speakers (normal computer speakers, I can check which ones if needed)

I was hoping that the dynamic microphone would be outputted via the speakers but that does not happen yet. I am not sure what I am missing. I know the audio interface has phantom power so I was assuming this would be enough to power up the mic.

Any idea what I am missing? Do I need an additional amplifier that would give more power or the speakers need to be some sort? Would really appreciate the help!

Well, forget the phantom, the mic doesn't need power - but the key here is the software. The interface send the audio to the computer, the computer sends it to the interface -ONCE- your software sets the routing up. in many DAWs, you need to tell it to use the interface, then select the socket the mic is plugged into, then you might have to press a button to hear the mic through the speakers, when of course it will immediately feedback. I cubase, you select a track to record on, make sure the red Rec button is it, and then if you need to hear it, click a small spark icon. Other software will be similar.

You would not use an audio interface and computer speakers for 'live' use. What exactly are you trying to do?

Oh yes sorry, did not explain that last comment properly :)

The current use case will be at home only. I am taking lessons and want to get comfortable using a dynamic mic as currently I have only done singing without one.

So for now just at home, sound coming out of the speakers, with some simple software that would help me to get the sound out of the speakers directly since this is what is hindering the process currently. So is there any simple and fast program that I can run each time I want to sing.?

Thank you a lot for helping out!

Last edited:
Hi,
It looks like your interface has direct monitoring so, as far as I know, you should be able to turn the knob on the front to 'direct' and hear yourself.
Start with your speakers at minimum volume then gradually increase to avoid getting a jumpscare from the feedback. ;)

Failing that, Rob has it ^. Any recording software should let you hear your input.
The difference, there, is that it will have some amount of latency (very short delay) as the signal is being processed by the computer.
The advantage, however, is that you could apply real time effects like eq/compression/reverb in the software, if you wanted to, whereas the first option is just straight-up direct audio.

Hope that's helpful.

Vasil,

What are you using for cables/connector to connect the 1/4" output jack of the M-Track Plus to the computer speakers? Do the speakers have one cable that goes to the computer and then another cable that goes between the speakers?
It may help to know what the speaker model is.

Hi guys, thanks for all the help! Tonight when I reach home I will check the exact set-up and will comment here. For sure the mic and the audio interface are connected via XLR to XLR. I am then using a 1/4" cable via the main out of the interface that connects directly to a single speaker (the other end of the cable is a smaller plug, resembles a 3.5mm or some other similar standard that I am not familiar with). I will check in more detail tonight, maybe take a few photos and comment here. Thank you so much for all the help so far!

looking at the manual - the direct knob is a passive link and doesn't require the interface to be connected to the computer, so the ¼' outlets on the rear should function if the pot ons turned to the direct sound position fully. If it doesn't, it suggests that the issue is just cabling between the interface and your speakers (which of course, will be totally horrible for this kind of thing - thin and weedy, and probably not very loud - if they are typical computer speakers).

There's an easy test however. plug the cable into the speakers, then turn the volume up full. If the cable is the right one, tapping the very tip of the unconnected plug will produce a buzz. If it produces no noise at all, then either the speaker input is defective, or possibly expecting a loudspeaker level voltage from the typical computer or ipad. Your interface produces the kind of level that a keyboard or CD player produces. Direct connection to a line level device may simply not be possible.

I looked at the typical adverts for these interfaces and they all come with either Ableton or Cubase LE - so you should have suitable software. My guess is the computer speaker being unsuitable - have you tried headphones direct to the interface? This will remove the unknown speaker factor? If the headphones let you hear the mic, all is good! Mic gains up, output to fully direct, headphone up and what happens?

Computer speakers typically have the amp in one speaker, and the other is passive. The input is stereo (1/8" TRS).

Hi guys, thanks for all the help! Tonight when I reach home I will check the exact set-up and will comment here. For sure the mic and the audio interface are connected via XLR to XLR. I am then using a 1/4" cable via the main out of the interface that connects directly to a single speaker (the other end of the cable is a smaller plug, resembles a 3.5mm or some other similar standard that I am not familiar with). I will check in more detail tonight, maybe take a few photos and comment here. Thank you so much for all the help so far!
I believe you need a cable like this >>>> Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable

This will take the left and right outputs of the M-Track Plus and correctly send it to input of the single computer speaker where the signal is split to go to the second speaker via its interconnecting cable.
If using just the mic on one input of the M-Track Plus, set the 'Stereo/Mono' switch to Mono so the sound will come from both speakers. This switch only affects Direct Monitoring and not the audio that plays back from your computer according to the manual.

Hi guys, thanks for all the help, your comments resolved the issue.

I turned one of the knobs to "Direct" fully and the Gain also almost to the maximum level (anything bellow the max level did not provide any output at all) and now it all works perfectly. I am sure those are rookie settings but I am new to this. Anyways thank you all so much for helping out! :)

I'm not being funny, but if the only thing wrong was that you hadn't turned the gain up or turned one of the very few knobs on the unit, you might be pushing your envelope for music in general. This isn't just simple, but a bit like the musical equivalent of calling the garage out because you didn't try turning your new cars ignition key. I don't normally get grumpy like this, but we do appear to have spent more of our time on this than you did! We had to look at pictures, read manuals, sit down and type. You had two knobs to turn and didn't bother to even try?

Hi guys, thanks for all the help, your comments resolved the issue.

I turned one of the knobs to "Direct" fully and the Gain also almost to the maximum level (anything bellow the max level did not provide any output at all) and now it all works perfectly. I am sure those are rookie settings but I am new to this. Anyways thank you all so much for helping out! :)

Somethings still not right if you have to turn the gain up all the way. I suspect it's the connection to the speakers.

Back