streaming mp3's so people can't save em??

jiffy999

How do I stream mp3's off my site and make them where people can't save them on there hard drive? Can this be done please tell me.

Thats not what I'm talking about, isn't there a way to stream mp3's from your website and have it so people can only listen to them when there only connected to the net? Or am I wrong?

If you just put an mp3 on a site, it only streams if the user's mp3 player streams by default...otherwise it just downloads. You don't have to do anything special.

To specifically stream an mp3, you need to create a .m3u file which is just a text file with the URL of the mp3. Then point people to the m3u file. There's brief tutorial for this over at my website.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
If you just put an mp3 on a site, it only streams if the user's mp3 player streams by default...otherwise it just downloads. You don't have to do anything special.

To specifically stream an mp3, you need to create a .m3u file which is just a text file with the URL of the mp3. Then point people to the m3u file. There's brief tutorial for this over at my website.

Slackmaster 2000

... And if it's the same version I read sometime last year it explained it fairly well. That's how I learned to do it.

You know jiffy, I was just talking about this to a friend. I *hate* sites that only allow streaming. Streaming has never worked well, and might not ever work well. Playing a file while it downloads is a nice feature of many players, and that's fine. But streaming only means that every single time I want to hear the same content, I have to redownload the entire thing. This costs your bandwidth, and mine. Also, streaming often means choppy playback, and it's nice to have a local copy to watch or hear a second time without all the dropouts.

I have no idea why people want to protect the shit they want to SHARE so much. I just don't get it. There are more polite ways to go about things.

Slackmaster 2000

I just defeat the .m3u limitation by hooking up the digital out of my soundcard to an external CDRW.

>>I just defeat the .m3u limitation by hooking up the digital out of my soundcard to an external CDRW.

exactly...it kills me that so many people, including the record companies are going to all this trouble to "protect" copywritten material when it's so freakin easy to work around it.

Don't want it ripped? Don't publish it. Yer spinnin yer wheels..

not meant as a flame, if you feel like the m3u technique is what you need, by all means go for it.

my soundcard lets me record directely from the computers out.. it's kind of an extra virtual output.. so i can record the shit anyway too..

Hey thanks for all that info Slackmaster2K - you are right, it's so easy....nice site mate, those frames work well. Found it a bit hard to read the red download links though, getting old :)

cheers
john

Back