Strange electrical sound from my guitar whilst recording DI

TeamMemberNo.8

Hi all,
I'm brand new to the forum but felt I should join as I continue work on my first instrumental rock EP.

My first question is, what the hell is that crackling sound that starts 7 seconds into the attached mp3?
I'm playing an electric guitar, through a Tascam us144 interface, into Logic.
I'm not very tech savvy, does anybody have a solution?

Thanks a million
George.
:guitar:
View attachment crakle strat recordgin for forum.mp3

You could have put up a longer clip...kinda hard to tell hearing it for only 2-3 seconds.

Sounded like some static noise...or...???

Hi Miroslav,

Thanks for taking a listen. It's short but you can really really hear it between 7 and 10 seconds so it is a good example of the issue.
It's funny how the crackling starts only when I'm holding onto that last chord.. Makes me wonder.

I've also swapped to some other monitors, and tried another USB cable to the TASCAM. Still no difference.
My current idea is that my TASCAM is just too damn old.. Discontinued and no driver updates since 2012.
Also it does not claim to be supported by El Capitan or even any OS beyond Leopard.

George

Surely you have some sort of PC kicking around?

I had a 144 and it worked fine on W7.

Dave.

Could be mains noise being picked?

You said it was directly plugged into the Tascam? Not a mic into the tascam with an amp?

Could be a bad connection on the guitar lead, try cleaning the connectors and the plugs.

Alan.

That does not sound like a computer issue at all. I would suggest checking connections or stop petting your cat with your socked feet on carpeted floor while holding on to the last chord with a balloon stuck on your head. lol!

Sorry but it does sound like some strange static noise. Check connections first man. Second step would be to make sure internal connections are solid.

:)

Back