Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Sterling 5" studio monitor problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3

    Sterling 5" studio monitor problems

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have 2 powered studio monitors and now only one works...I ran tests and narrowed it down to something electronic(not speaker or wires or connections)...The small tweeter or whatever the small cone is on the top of the monitor works(sounds tinny). But the woofer or large speaker doesn't have sound coming out of it...now I have a multimeter and would like to know where to start in tracking the problem down...I will add that this was a progressive thing..it would cutoff and on for months then now nothing at all...any help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    347
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donithan View Post
    I have 2 powered studio monitors and now only one works...I ran tests and narrowed it down to something electronic(not speaker or wires or connections)...The small tweeter or whatever the small cone is on the top of the monitor works(sounds tinny). But the woofer or large speaker doesn't have sound coming out of it...now I have a multimeter and would like to know where to start in tracking the problem down...I will add that this was a progressive thing..it would cutoff and on for months then now nothing at all...any help?
    I would look for a loose connection or bad connector. Possibly at the interface or possibly a wire inside.
    Worst case you drove them too hard with too much power trying to be louder and blew out the coil for the cone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    I would look for a loose connection or bad connector. Possibly at the interface or possibly a wire inside.
    Worst case you drove them too hard with too much power trying to be louder and blew out the coil for the cone.
    No I tested all of those ..I'm sure it's somewhere electronic...I hooked a seperate external speaker to the output off the main speaker connection on the motherboard and nothing plays..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    4,335
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 550 Times in 495 Posts
    Rep Power
    8012023
    Internal fuse??? You check for that?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,488
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 221 Times in 202 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    Do you have a schematic/service manual and some experience troubleshooting electronic gear? Without that you won't know where or how to make checks through the circuit of the amplifier. It would be next to impossible for anyone here as well to suggest where to probe with a meter without a schematic/service manual. Your best recourse is to contact Sterling and get a repair estimate (which unfortunately may be close to the original cost of the speaker). Perhaps they may have a refurbed one that can be had at a discount(?)

    Where the tweeter seems to have some audio and the bass doesn't, it may be a problem with the bi-amp section that drives woofer.
    Mark.......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Internal fuse??? You check for that?
    I had stated that the smaller speaker or cone works...

    ---------- Update ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    Internal fuse??? You check for that?
    I had stated that the smaller speaker or cone works...so it cannot be a fuse...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Do you have a schematic/service manual and some experience troubleshooting electronic gear? Without that you won't know where or how to make checks through the circuit of the amplifier. It would be next to impossible for anyone here as well to suggest where to probe with a meter without a schematic/service manual. Your best recourse is to contact Sterling and get a repair estimate (which unfortunately may be close to the original cost of the speaker). Perhaps they may have a refurbed one that can be had at a discount(?)

    Where the tweeter seems to have some audio and the bass doesn't, it may be a problem with the bi-amp section that drives woofer.
    That's what makes sense, the part about the bi-amp...the speaker works because I tested it from a speaker wire from my FM Stereo...I have no schematic..I have checked the internet for one but no luck. And as you state it's probably cheaper to just buy another one ($89-99) rather than pay for repair...Unless I can find a friend or neighbor who dabbles in electronics...
    Last edited by Robert Donithan; 04-09-2019 at 18:56.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    71
    Posts
    4,488
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 221 Times in 202 Posts
    Rep Power
    10181459
    MX-5?
    Used..... Guitar Center
    Mark.......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    MX-5?
    Used..... Guitar Center
    I'll wait and see if someone else can tell me how to track the problem down...what does a bi-amp look like and how much do they cost?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    4,335
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 550 Times in 495 Posts
    Rep Power
    8012023
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Donithan View Post
    I had stated that the smaller speaker or cone works...

    ---------- Update ----------


    I had stated that the smaller speaker or cone works...so it cannot be a fuse...
    Dude just trying to help. Don't be so dismissive.
    A blown fuse is the easiest thing to look for and fix. And 'what if' it's that easy. That's a good thing.

    Just because one driver works doesn't rule out that possibility. Many powered monitors are Bi amped, as in there are seperate amps for the woofer and tweeter.
    I'm not saying a fuse is your problem. I'm not looking inside your speaker, but it's worth checking.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sterling 5" powered monitor problem
    By Robert Donithan in forum Newbies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2017, 10:11
  2. Studio Monitor Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By jackbowen123 in forum Newbies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 15:33
  3. WTB: 8" studio monitor pair
    By Ninja_Drummer in forum Free Ads for Music/Recording Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 20:33
  4. Problems with Sterling ST51 Microphone
    By GG2213 in forum Newbies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 06:07
  5. How is the Alesis "Monitor One" studio monitors ?
    By gilwe in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-26-2002, 22:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •