Stereo understanding

In this case mentioned by the OP, and was stated in one of the posts. If One channel is bass side and other is treble, then using the two outputs for EQ makes a lot of sense.

Now as to the stereo question, if the two captured sounds get panned, I don't know how it isn't stereo once you leave 0 on each track.

In this case, I will state it again, the better use for this is to allow the soundman to EQ the two outputs for an improved mix of the instrument.

It is different between recording and live: in recording situations, you have to pan pot for a good stereo image by speakers and by headphones; in live situations, you have to consider that many people will not stay at the center of the speakers, then people on a side will not hear sound from the other speaker. You have to make only a bit of panpotting if the two channels of an instrument are very different like in this case and check how is the sound from the sides.

Generally speaking, you can panpot completely L/R a sound of it is already stereo, or the two channels are not very different. If they are very different, in a recording situation you obtain a Beatles sound...

Last edited:
Audio from accordion is divided into low and mid/high frequencies: in a piano it has more sense, because it is like listening from the player or from the opposite side: sound is like moving from left to right as notes played (then the strings) are on the left or on the right of the keyboard. In an accordion, this is the only "algorithm" that can be used. Obviously it doesn't come from a real listening situation, but the alternative is mono, with only some stereo reverb (mono input/stereo output).

Last edited:
I've mixed over a thousand live acts and provided PA for well over a hundred shows (lost count). I pretty much always ran stereo when possible because you can always pan center if that's the best option and it lets you pan off center when that is preferable.

Many stereo reverbs just sound better not summed and make things sound bigger spread across the room even if nothing else is panned.

Sometimes a guitar amp is aimed at one side of the room so it needs reinforcement only on the other side.

Some rooms are sized and shaped to allow judicious panning of inputs, for example in a narrow room where you're angling the speakers in to reduce reflectons off the walls.

Putting left and right speakers on separate amp channels provides redundancy to keep a show going if something fails.

I've mixed over a thousand live acts and provided PA for well over a hundred shows (lost count). I pretty much always ran stereo when possible because you can always pan center if that's the best option and it lets you pan off center when that is preferable.

Many stereo reverbs just sound better not summed and make things sound bigger spread across the room even if nothing else is panned.

Sometimes a guitar amp is aimed at one side of the room so it needs reinforcement only on the other side.

Some rooms are sized and shaped to allow judicious panning of inputs, for example in a narrow room where you're angling the speakers in to reduce reflectons off the walls.

Putting left and right speakers on separate amp channels provides redundancy to keep a show going if something fails.

All the above.

Additionally, some synth pads, like stereo reverbs, are better not summed.

Back