Stereo Compressor

StarMan

OK, just trying to understand how my new stereo compressor/limiter works.

What are the best uses for stereo compressors?

So if I have a mono track (audio event inside my DAW) and want to insert the compressor can I use the stereo compressor or do I need to use a mono compressor? Would the stereo compreossr be more suited to using at and applying it during mixdown since the (full) track would be a stereo track?

So if I have a mono track (audio event inside my DAW) and want to insert the compressor can I use the stereo compressor or do I need to use a mono compressor? Would the stereo compreossr be more suited to using at and applying it during mixdown since the (full) track would be a stereo track?

This is a big rabbit hole to go down, compressors are very useful for alot of Things. I use them on about everything. they can be used to fatten a kick, limit spikes on a vocal track, make guitars wide. check out you tube. you will find tons of ways to use them. On mono tracks I use a mono compressor, usually but not always. for instance, take a guitar track, double it and use different compressor settings on each track and pan them. the uses are endless.

Hardware or software compressor? If hardware, it would have to be pretty special to be worthwhile.

A stereo compressor applies the same gain reduction to both channels but keeps the two audio tracks separate. You can use a stereo compressor on a mono track. How you do it depends on the compressor and the desired effect.

Of my only two but favorite stereo hardware comps is Ted Fletcher's P38. While it is stereo only (always linked no dual mono) suited to mastering/bus work my use is mono tracking. Feed it one side only the only downside is a shift in threshold -one side seeing zero signal, of around 6dB. (A split off the pre's output to both sides fixes this 'nonproblem..
Quite a cool series of comps he has here. Though optical' it comes close in four configuration types.

If yours is dual mono/linkable stereo- easy breezy then with all the options open.

Last edited:
Back