Static / Electrical Feedback Issues

sportzdude1212

Hello!
I am having an issue: when recording I am getting a large amount of static in the background no matter what mic/plug/computer mix-mash I use. I have tried several different cords (XLR-1/4, XLR-USB) with replacements for both, I have tried a desktop and a laptop, I have tried a condensor and a dynamic. No matter what I do I always get a large white noise in the background.

On my desktop I hear static through my speakers even when I have no recording device plugged in which leads me to believe it is something to do with electrical interference. When I plug in simply the XLR-USB/ XLR-1/4 cords with nothing attached to them I also get a noticeable static on both my laptop and desktop. I have been trying to record clear vocals for so long and its just so frustrating that my iPhone can record a clearer sound than dedicated microphones/cords.

Anything you can do to help me is greatly appreciated, I just want to record!

Thank you!

Hmm what are you using as an audio interface into the computer? Whatever you answer, that's probably your problem.

You can't go XLR-USB unless there's some kind of A to D converter built into your adaptor--and if there is I bet it's pretty low quality. Similarly I'm not sure where you plug in a quarter inch into most computers--but built in sound cards are noisy as hell and external interfaces use quarter inch for line level, not mics.

So, more info please but I bet the answer is going to be that you need a proper audio interface.

Yep, like Bobbsy said. I suggest for a start you read the sticky threads at the top of this section of the forum about computer recording.

It will also help with diagnosis if you define the noise better.

I know the term "static" is used by our colonial brothers to imply almost any kind of interfering noise but in UK it is a specific "crackle" type of noise. You said "white noise" and that is fairly smooth, similar to heavy rain.
Then there are hums, specific frequencies, 50,60,100,120Hz and their infinite harmonics. Lastly you can get specific "artifacts". I had one at 6kHz at about neg 40 a few years ago in Samplitude SE8. Drove us bloody mad! A re install of the DAW fixed it. GAKsWhy!

Dave.

I am not using an audio interface I am plugging directly into the computer (through a pre-amp w/ phantom power for the condenser) and i meant to say that its XLR-1/8" the typical line-in on a computer. Would getting an audio interface resolve the issue? Like I said earlier simply plugging the XLR-USB or 1/8" generates a hum that my computer picks up that I can see in the dB meter for that specific line.

I recorded with the cord in alone and looked at the visual equalizer and the entire thing lights up but the most predominant lines are around 100 and 10k Hz. Its a very constant sound and it does sound like whitenoise as ecc83 described.

I am not using an audio interface I am plugging directly into the computer (through a pre-amp w/ phantom power for the condenser) and i meant to say that its XLR-1/8" the typical line-in on a computer. Would getting an audio interface resolve the issue? Like I said earlier simply plugging the XLR-USB or 1/8" generates a hum that my computer picks up that I can see in the dB meter for that specific line.

I recorded with the cord in alone and looked at the visual equalizer and the entire thing lights up but the most predominant lines are around 100 and 10k Hz. Its a very constant sound and it does sound like whitenoise as ecc83 described.

Aha! Most computers, certainly Win 7 jobs, treat any input as a microphone and apply a suitable level of gain, maybe in excess of 60dB! i
In the W7 case go> Control Panel> Hardware and Sound>Manage audio devices>External Mic>Recording>External mic>levels then set it way down, take the Boost right off and set the level to 10 to begin with, even that might be too high.

If you have XP or Vista tell me and I will walk you thru those.

But start saving for an AI!

Dave.

To answer your question, yes an audio interface is what you really need.

ecc83's method is a stop gap that should improve things a bit until you get one but, in effect, what you're doing is using your mic pre amp to add 50dB of gain to you mic then turning levels down on the computer to reduce the signal by 50dB again. This does nothing good to your sound, especially as the sound interface in the computer is probably a single chip worth pennies. It'll be lacking in headroom and just generally sound like rubbish--turned down rubbish when you follow ecc83's instructions but still rubbish nonetheless!

To answer your question, yes an audio interface is what you really need.

ecc83's method is a stop gap that should improve things a bit until you get one but, in effect, what you're doing is using your mic pre amp to add 50dB of gain to you mic then turning levels down on the computer to reduce the signal by 50dB again. This does nothing good to your sound, especially as the sound interface in the computer is probably a single chip worth pennies. It'll be lacking in headroom and just generally sound like rubbish--turned down rubbish when you follow ecc83's instructions but still rubbish nonetheless!

^Absobloominglutely. If you chose the AI wisely you can get one that has two mic inputs and an additional pair of line inputs that can accept the existing pre amp properly thus giving you a 4 mic input, 4 track recording system. Them here as knows me know I refer to the "NI KA 6" Inyerface!

Dave.

Thanks for the help.

So what you're saying is that with a certain audio interface I can solve this problem w/o getting a new sound card? I don't want to spend money on something that ultimately won't solve the problem for me because of my computer. If yes, any suggestions on an affordable audio interface that meets the criterion specified?

Thanks for the help.

So what you're saying is that with a certain audio interface I can solve this problem w/o getting a new sound card? I don't want to spend money on something that ultimately won't solve the problem for me because of my computer. If yes, any suggestions on an affordable audio interface that meets the criterion specified?

An audio interface is just another name for a sound card--it's just become the name of choice since most "sound cards" are now external boxes rather than a card that plugs into a desktop computer.

Yes, based on your description, getting rid of the internal sound card (which, if like every other internal sound card in the world, is a piece of rubbish worth pennies and designed for Skype calls not music) and all the bodged adaptors on the outside and replacing it even with a cheap "proper" sound card should solve your problems.

However, we can only respond to the information you've given us. We don't know what mic you're using and we don't know if an electric wire is shorting above your studio. Based on the info you've given us a new interface sounds the right solution--but, without actually being there and seeing what you have and do, we can't give a 100% assurance that a sound card will fix everything. What I can say is that, if there's another problem as well, a proper interface will be something you need anyway so not wasted money.

My audio interface has 4 mic inputs

M-Audio Fast Track C600

Yes, but the OP already has 2 mic channels on his existing pre amp so all he really needs is 2 mic+2 lines on an AI.

I note that the C600 has two high Z inputs but are they ADDITIONAL channels? If so they would give him a potential 6 mic inputs. If not I do not see any advantage over the NI Ka6 but greater cost.

Dave.

May I offer a third possibility to the OP's problem? He stated he was using:

that its XLR-1/8" the typical line-in on a computer.

If the cable he is using is straight through pin to pin, this could cause problems also.

Some computers have a line in and mic input separately; If you send an unbalanced mono +4 signal into an unbalanced -10 stereo input, pin to pin without an adapter to properly unbalance and "Y" the signal, it will result in a thin sound, at best. At worse, because of the previously stated issues (low priced low quality converters etc.), I imagine you could end up with the problems the OP described.

In fact, if the recorded sound is then summed to mono, the left and right channels will cancel each other out.

Back