Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Start me up!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    or a midi keyboard that connects via USB
    Indeed and there are two basic choices,

A fully self-sounding synth which has the advantage that you get true, zero latency monitoring and the ability to noodly without the PC gear being fired up (they all have headphone outs)

Or a dumb, keyboard controller such as the Evolution Ekeys49 I bought my son years ago.

For the former, DO check out charity shops! I go into many and often see synths and organs at siily, like 50, markups. But DO check they have MIDI ports. You would be suprised how many grand looking instruments don't!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    or a midi keyboard that connects via USB
    Quote Originally Posted by grimtraveller View Post
    +1 to that^^^^^^^^^
    I've had both in my time and they both work equally well but the MIDI keyboard that connects via USB is the ultimate 'plug in and play' beast. Ironically, it wasn't like that in 2009 when I first plugged it in !
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Indeed and there are two basic choices,

A fully self-sounding synth which has the advantage that you get true, zero latency monitoring and the ability to noodly without the PC gear being fired up (they all have headphone outs)

Or a dumb, keyboard controller such as the Evolution Ekeys49 I bought my son years ago.

For the former, DO check out charity shops! I go into many and often see synths and organs at siily, like 50, markups. But DO check they have MIDI ports. You would be suprised how many grand looking instruments don't!

Dave.
    Midi keyboard direct into pc sounds like my simplest option for now . Thanks all 👍

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldepro View Post
    You do not need 10000usd speakers to produce CDs.
    This may be hard to grok, but to many of us money is scarce and not something to throw around without an overwhelming compelling reason.
    And depending on the hobby vs job ratio many people would say their speakers are plenty good enough even if you do not like them.

There is a reason that not everybody uses the only one top of the line device.
    And that there are SO many choices at all price levels.

Headphones will tell you more than any speaker can and for a lot less money.
    I was no suggesting the OP has to get $1000 monitors. I just don't want him to waste his money on some cheap devices named for a Newtonian Law. The market is flooded with so called monitors and I was merely pointing out that they don't really deserve the name until they get close to $500 per.

Dave.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I was no suggesting the OP has to get $1000 monitors. I just don't want him to waste his money on some cheap devices named for a Newtonian Law. The market is flooded with so called monitors and I was merely pointing out that they don't really deserve the name until they get close to $500 per.

Dave.

Right.
    Everyone has a budget...and often that's the deciding factor for what you buy, and then that becomes your level of excellence until your budget lets you raise the bar...but you can't judge gear quality entirely based on your budget...and even the guy at home doing it entirely as a side hobby wants to have a certain level of quality, and each person has to decide what that is...though again, too often the decisions are based purely on budget, often not on reality, and that is what a lot of inexpensive gear manufactures are counting on, so we now have an overabundance of inexpensive no-name gear. It's not all bad...but you really have to cherry pick through it.

Otherwise...I see you are back from your short medical hiatus. I hope it all went well for you.

Thanks
    You do not need 10000usd speakers to produce CDs.
    This may be hard to grok, but to many of us money is scarce and not something to throw around without an overwhelming compelling reason.
    And depending on the hobby vs job ratio many people would say their speakers are plenty good enough even if you do not like them.

There is a reason that not everybody uses the only one top of the line device.
    And that there are SO many choices at all price levels.

Headphones will tell you more than any speaker can and for a lot less money.
    Did you not even read what you quoted from me?

I have a strange feeling we have met here before...
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Indeed if they make those. I have not seen such a device but I never looked for one with usb ability.
    Most contemporary midi keyboards connect via USB, and finding one with the usual DIN connections is becoming increasingly harder.

Someone mentioned the Evolution keyboard, which is one I have, and that has both USB and DIN, but that is now the exception. The newer Roland A49 that I have only has USB.

Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

I have not looked at keyboards for a long long time.

---------- Update ----------

I have trouble reading. Sorry if I missed something.
    It doesn't matter. I could actually not care less. People do what they do. I just live my life and help out when I can here.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    "Otherwise...I see you are back from your short medical hiatus. I hope it all went well for you. "

Yes, thank you Miroslav. Post op recovery has been a bit fraught but at 74 to be expected? Home now and getting about fine.

Dave.

Thanks
    After the robust discussion regarding monitoring and how much to spend I thought I'd post this up...its stuff I recorded 15 years ago and have finally got round to putting up online.. not expecting anyone to critique the whole album but I'm interested in what folk make of the dynamics and mix of the songs. The whole album was monitored and mixed on a Sony stereo with decent but basic 20w speakers. I've had a few people mention that I should really invest in proper monitors and I'm wondering how this finished item stands up and what difference using proper monitors would make?

Stars of Bravo by Lone Star Laundry on Spotify

Thanks
    Mark

Thanks
    I haven't had much of a chance to do anything but a very brief listen, but in general I think the songs have scrubbed up ok. They may be a bit bright, and light on the bottom end, but ultimately that's an expression of musical taste rather than a flaw, even if it is a consequence of your monitoring system.

Thread Information