Specific laptop for home studio, buying soon

lordubbe

New Asus U53JC or Asus "Bamboo" as it is known as. Here is it's specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 560M
Hard drive: 640 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 310M w/ 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM
and it has a socalled "ASUS Super Hybrid Engine", which i heard should be pretty good.

So, i am in desperate need of a new laptop, since my old piece of **** Lenovo can't handle anything, especially Pro Tools 8.
I talked to a computer guy, and he said this laptop would be a good choice, but i wanted to hear some opinions from other home-studio experienced guys who knows exactly what to look for.

Does this computer seem like it can handle Pro Tools 8 flawlessly with plenty of plugins and effects, etc. etc. Looks good to me, but since i don't know much about computers, i figured i'd get some help here!

The Asus Bamboo also has a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed slot, so i figured that would be awesome for my Mbox2.

Hope you guys can help me clear up my mind, and please, if you think this laptop would be a stupid choice, do indeed recommend other laptops that won't make my wallet hurt too much, but still does the trick, OR tell me what to look for when buying a new laptop for home studio recording, mixing etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cob :)

I've noticed night/day difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm on the hard drives.
Also, if you can get a dual drive to separate OS and data, that will benefit you as well... External drives are acceptable in this case also if you can't mount two in the laptop.

:)

I agree that hard drive speed can be a huge deal, especially if you are using one hard drive, which is common with laptops.

Unless it changed very recently, world's fastest laptop hard drive is the Seagate Momentus XT. It's a hybrid. I'm enjoying it, and it's not a bank breaker.

Pro Tools is notoriously picky about chipsets and cards. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you visit the DUC and post your specs and ask if it will be compatible.

Here's a link to the DUC:

http://duc.avid.com/

Seriously. Pro Tools is not compatible with a HUGE amount of systems. I'm just venturing a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of new computers will not run pro tools. You really have to be very careful if you plan to use pro tools, and make sure you get the right thing. The DUC is the place to make that happen.

Last edited:
90% of computers?? are you sure?? I'm pretty sure AVID would strongly disagree (or they'd be out of business!)
I must have been very lucky with my choices then :laughings:

Thanks a lot for the help! So besides upgrading the harddrive to 7200 rpm (i have an external one for files and such, not sure it's very quick, upgrade of that = good idea?), it seems like a good computer for my purpouses?
I've put up a thread similar to this one at DUC just to be sure!

Again, thanks a lot guys!

That's a nice looking laptop. I don't know about running Protools, but the specs are good. The hybrid graphics should get you some sweet battery life when it's using the integrated graphics and it's got a pretty big battery. Looks well built, too. $1066 is slightly expensive for the specs (unless you've found a better deal than Amazon), though I imagine you're paying for the build quality and materials.

Back