The special name for the vocal intro that doesn't appear anywhere else in the song

Ebberman

What is the special name for the vocal intro that doesn't appear anywhere else in the song?
Two examples: Take Good Care Of My Baby,Bobby Vee, and If I Fell, Beatles.

Unless there's some official Latin or Italian term for it, it's just a vocal intro. If I was describing the start to "If I fell" I'd just call it that lovely vocal intro at the start. You'd know what I meant !

Thanks, guys. Yes, they are vocal intros. Someone once told me that there was a special name, but didn't tell me what it was.

Funnily, most of the preludes I know {eg, the one on Pavlov's Dog's debut Lp or Styx on "Equinox"} are instrumental.

OTTOMH do you mean..."The loveliness of Paris seems somehow sadly gay. The glory that was Rome is of another day. I was terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan and so I wander back to my city by the bay..." (best I remember it)

#l left my heart in Sanfrancisco...# Most of the old songs 40s 50s radio stuff I was brought up with had such 'pre intros' but you rarely heard them.

'k knows if it has a name?

Dave.

Maybe a "Slate" ? I've done this for VO auditions. Not sure it is commonly called that for songs and tend to agree with the Intro/prelude suggestions.
Dale

Last edited:
Back