Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Speaker hum problem

Thanks

Speaker hum problem

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,
    I have two PCs for recording, one with an E-mu 1820m sound card linked to a pair of Fostex active 5" speakers and another one with a Roland Quad-Capture sound card linked to a pair of Fostex active 4" speakers. Both setups work perfectly well. However, I recently tried to link the Quad-Capture to the Fostex 5" speakers and they hum like crazy. What could be causing this ?
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    Are they plugged into same electric circuit with grounded plugs? Hum usually comes from a ground loop problem.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    In addition to power ground problems I find that connecting an unbalanced output to a balanced input can cause pretty bad hum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    Are they plugged into same electric circuit with grounded plugs? Hum usually comes from a ground loop problem.

Well, the Quad-Capture is USB powered- although its PC is powered by the same circuit as the 5 " speakers. However, the Quad-Capture's previous machine was plugged into the same circuit as the 4 " speakers- and they didn't hum. All the circuits are well grounded, yes.
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    In addition to power ground problems I find that connecting an unbalanced output to a balanced input can cause pretty bad hum.
    I'll look into that, thanks, - although I'm pretty sure that none of my gear is ' balanced '.
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    Monitors are susceptible to hum if they're connected with unbalanced leads. I had the same problem with my KRK Rokit 8 monitors until I switched them to balanced. Now they're dead quiet and sound great.

Thanks
    I will obtain a pair of balanced leads- but that does not explain to me why the 5" should hum with the Quad-Capture and not with the 1820m- using the self-same leads.
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzzo View Post
    I will obtain a pair of balanced leads- but that does not explain to me why the 5" should hum with the Quad-Capture and not with the 1820m- using the self-same leads.
    I just looked them up and both of your interfaces have balanced output. It may be that different ways of doing the balancing interact differently with your unbalanced connection.

Interestingly, the E-mu manual specifically says to use unbalanced cables to connect to unbalanced devices to avoid noise problems.

I looked up "Fostex 5"" and there were several models so I couldn't determine if the inputs are balanced. What is the exact model number?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I just looked them up and both of your interfaces have balanced output. It may be that different ways of doing the balancing interact differently with your unbalanced connection.

Interestingly, the E-mu manual specifically says to use unbalanced cables to connect to unbalanced devices to avoid noise problems.

I looked up "Fostex 5"" and there were several models so I couldn't determine if the inputs are balanced. What is the exact model number?
    They are PMO.5n . I tried the Quad-Capture and the Fostex 5" with very good quality Lynx 2,5mm speaker leads- but they still hummed. They are silent when connected to the 1820m. It would be easy to write off the Quad-Capture as cheapo kit- but there's no hum when it's used with the Fostex 4" .

Thanks for your time, incidentally. Appreciated. I've reverted to using the 1820m but it's showing its age, I think.
    Lend me your ears

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzzo View Post
    I tried the Quad-Capture and the Fostex 5" with very good quality Lynx 2,5mm speaker leads- but they still hummed.
    Speaker leads? Like this?That cable is for connecting an amplifier to a passive speaker. Your active speakers have the amps in them and so you need to use shielded line cables, preferably balanced. That could be the cause of the problem.

Thread Information