Sound treating mirrored wardrobe

CatCat

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place for this post.

Ive thrown together a rough approximation of my studio.

studio-mirror-wardrobe.jpg

Simple setup, I have some 5" studio monitors (Presonus) sitting on pads on my desk.

Put simply, the bass is out of control in the room (like earsplitting), compared with listening to the mix through headphones.

At the back wall of the room (opposite the monitors) is a built-in wardrobe with (floor to ceiling) mirror doors. I have noticed if I open one of the doors (two sliding doors, you can only open one at a time) to expose the clothing inside, it takes some of the bass out of the room.

I imagine these doors are acting like a bit of a reverberation plate causing the huge bass issues.

I am wondering what I can do to insulate against this. I can't change the layout of the room unfortunately.

Would some insulation panels (eg. squares of egg crate foam) hung in front of the mirrors help?

Any advice would be much appreciated, especially if you've combatted this problem yourself.

Thanks in advance.

No, the mirror doors are not causing the problem(no more so than the set up in the rest of the room). As you discovered when opening the closet doors, you need to absorb some of the errant sound waves.
DO NOT BUY EGGCRATE FOAM! It does not absorb low frequencies. You need rockwool or compressed fiberglass panels. You can DIY, most people build 2'x4x 4" thk panels and straddle corners with them. These should go in all the corners you can get them in. Looks like you have a problem with your rear corners - with a doorway and a window.

If you get a chance, download a 20-20KHz constant level sweep tone, and play this back through your loudspeakers, while at the same time, record it with a decent microphone. What you will see is a crazily varying waveform - and all this stuff about hard parallel walls and small rooms will leap out at you. Do it with doors open and closed and see the difference. Then try to work out how to fix it. If the frequencies are in your bass range, you'll realise the room is giving the bass, not the speakers.

I'm about to change things and did this to get a record of how things are now - and frankly hadn't realised how bad my current room is.

Back