sos need help setting up my home studio

adolla

Hey everybody,
I usually record with solely headphones but i wanted to get speakers for my setup. I have an Avid fast track solo for my audio interface, presonus eris e3.5 for my monitors, and a Rode ntk for my microphone, and I setup everything and all parts function properly. I want to be able to hear sound from my speakers and also be able to record and hear through my headphones with my microphone as well. I don't know how to do this. I'm connecting everything to my air Mac and using Logic as my DAW. what do i have to do in order to hear my sessions from my speakers but also hear my work through my headphones when im recording on the mic.

sorry if i may sound confusing im trying my best to explain
thank you for your replies in advance !

But your speakers/monitors and headphones plug into your interface together with your mic?

If you have your speakers live while using the mic you will get feedback thats why you wear headphones.

i'm not sure if you are saying you want the monitors to be on and the headphones to be on also at the same time ? I'm not that familiar with the Fast Track Solo. Surely the headphone jack doesn't kill the monitor outputs in the back of the unit. On my rig I don't want the monitors on if I am recording in the same room with the monitors (if I'm using a microphone). I don't want the mic picking up the monitor sounds. So I turn them off. The better way to do it is use a monitoring control unit. Something like a Mackie Big Knob.

"3 – Output Level Control
Adjust this knob to control the Main and Headphone
output level.
Aha! ^ It would seem you cannot control the level of the line out (to monitors) and headphones independently and that is just BLOODY SILLY!

OP, just check that is the case and if so get the unit back for a refund ASAP. IMO that is "not fit for purpose" .

I am always wary of these ultra cheap "one lunged" interfaces. There is usually something REALLY pennypinched about them. Seems in this one they have saved the cost of one stereo potentiometer, about $1.00 when bought by the 10,000.

If you really are stuck with the SO badly designed heap, there are a couple of Kludges. Look for a cheap mixer (checkout pawn and charity shops) or a headphone amplifier such as the Behringer HA400 but you will need a splitter cable to feed both cans and speakers. Another solution would be a passive monitor controller in the path to the speakers but a mixer is the best option.

Dave.

---------- Update ----------

"3 – Output Level Control
Adjust this knob to control the Main and Headphone
output level.
Aha! ^ It would seem you cannot control the level of the line out (to monitors) and headphones independently and that is just BLOODY SILLY!

OP, just check that is the case and if so get the unit back for a refund ASAP. IMO that is "not fit for purpose" .

I am always wary of these ultra cheap "one lunged" interfaces. There is usually something REALLY pennypinched about them. Seems in this one they have saved the cost of one stereo potentiometer, about $1.00 when bought by the 10,000.

If you really are stuck with the SO badly designed heap, there are a couple of Kludges. Look for a cheap mixer (checkout pawn and charity shops) or a headphone amplifier such as the Behringer HA400 but you will need a splitter cable to feed both cans and speakers. Another solution would be a passive monitor controller in the path to the speakers but a mixer is the best option.

Dave.

Come on you clever computer people!
What do I do about the attached? It is driving me nuts.

SoS forum is fine. thefretboard.com hangs and I have to "review" then post some times but it never does this!

Dave.

Attachments

• leave stay.png
    leave stay.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 18
Well, first, when you see that and plow through, check for the two-posts-in-one thing. You can edit that to just show the content one time.

I don't know what the cause is, but if it's forcing you to re-login, it's either the main server or somewhere along the way the session information is whacked, *or* you may have a clock problem that makes it look like you've timed out. This used to be more common but most systems automatically keep the local clock sync'd with "internet" time. Make sure yours is doing this. (Mine does, but I was still seeing that a while back for no apparent reason. So, grasping a bit here...)

Well, first, when you see that and plow through, check for the two-posts-in-one thing. You can edit that to just show the content one time.

I don't know what the cause is, but if it's forcing you to re-login, it's either the main server or somewhere along the way the session information is whacked, *or* you may have a clock problem that makes it look like you've timed out. This used to be more common but most systems automatically keep the local clock sync'd with "internet" time. Make sure yours is doing this. (Mine does, but I was still seeing that a while back for no apparent reason. So, grasping a bit here...)

"Plough through! Keith? I am pretty sure when that pane comes up all is locked and I can only take one or the other actions inside it. I could of course just shut down then see if the post has worked? Will do next time but I came to the lappy at 5:30 today and it seems much slicker. BT Yahoo was taking an age to load up and I had to shut it down and start it several times. Much better today.

Right! Here goes, hitting the tit....

Bazinga! Worked like paint that time. As I say, all seems much faster today so maybe whatever it was has gotten sorted?

Ta for the interest,

Dave.

It does it to me fairly often - you click the post button, but the forum software hangs, and on my Mac, I get a similar message as your browser hasn't had the confirmation back that the post was accepted, and the forum doesn't do anything. If you do leave, you lose the text, but when you refresh the page, if you copied the text (which I always do if I get this message) I can just post it again. It isn't your end, its just the forum end not behaving - usually, I'm told server issues. Waiting usually means nothing happens - it's hung.

So for me, I simply copy the text I typed, leave the page, come back to the page and paste it - BUT - sometimes you then get a message saying it's a duplicate because it DID receive the text, publish it, and then hang.

It does it to me fairly often - you click the post button, but the forum software hangs, and on my Mac, I get a similar message as your browser hasn't had the confirmation back that the post was accepted, and the forum doesn't do anything. If you do leave, you lose the text, but when you refresh the page, if you copied the text (which I always do if I get this message) I can just post it again. It isn't your end, its just the forum end not behaving - usually, I'm told server issues. Waiting usually means nothing happens - it's hung.

So for me, I simply copy the text I typed, leave the page, come back to the page and paste it - BUT - sometimes you then get a message saying it's a duplicate because it DID receive the text, publish it, and then hang.

Thanks Rob. Good to know it's not just me! I seems longer posts are affected more than quickies? I also never seem to get the issue on an edit? I mean, I get the dupe then edit and tell about it but that second post has always gone without a problem.

Not happened today SO far!

Dave.

Thanks Rob. Good to know it's not just me! I seems longer posts are affected more than quickies? I also never seem to get the issue on an edit? I mean, I get the dupe then edit and tell about it but that second post has always gone without a problem.

Not happened today SO far!

Dave.

This hasn't happened to me yet but a) not so many posts and b) using Chrome on Mac. Not to bring up the browser but it would be interesting to know if it's a IE-specific thing.

Back