Sony MDM-X4 MKII

i've been looking around for a good 4 track recorder and i've pretty much narrowed it down to a few choices, one of them being the sony mdm-x4, which looks really cool and everything, but i can't seem to find the huge wealth of info availble on, say, the tascam 424mk2... so bascially, anyone have any web pages of reviews or anything? reply or email me with your own if you've tried or own one... thanks.

jp

JP- I'm not razzing on you; these are both fun choices for starting out in recording, but to ask for a comparison between them is sort of like calling one of those car gurus
for their recommendation on a vehicle and saying, "I've narrowed my choices down to a Mazda Miata, a Chevy Suburban and a Puch moped."

Did you read the 424 review at this site?
http://www.homerecording.com/424mk3.html

If I was starting out all over again, I'd probably go with the MD format over cassette.

hi JP...im a newbie too...but from what i understand the minidisk format is fairly compressed which means you lose fidelity along the way....but i could be wrong...i have a fostex FD-8 with a 250 zip drive and so far i love it...they also make a four track version...try looking around www.8thstreet.com they have pretty competitive prices also...hope i helped

spin

drstawl: no no, i'm not asking for a comparison at all, just some reviews... i'm just saying that there is a ton of information available for a lot of other recorders (and i used the 424 as an example) and so far i haven't been able to find much on the mdm-x4 ...

jp

thanks for the reply, i had already checked out the top link, one of the few places that had anything useful on it... the second one should be a lot of help too.

does anyone on this board have one?

jp

Hi-
I owned the Sony minidisc unit you are referring to. I thought it was a well-built,
easy to use quality machine..The best 4 track minidisc unit out there, in my book.
I upgraded to the Fostex DMT-8 mainly because I desired extra tracks, but also there is no compression. But keep in mind if you are just starting out, the compression issue is pretty much moot, because to the beginning naked ear, you won't hear the compression on the Sony unit. And I agree that you should buy a minidisc unit over the cassette, nbut remember that minidiscs are more expensive, but re-usable without any loss of quality.

I started on a Tascam 424 Mk II and then stepped up to a Sony MDM X4 this year.

No contest - digital is quieter, easier, and most importantly, **faster and easier to edit.** I love minidisc over cassette!

Don't get hung up on the MiniDisc compression issue - you won't hear it. You WILL be able to hear tape stretch and warble on your Tascam though!

Digital MiniDisc is coming down in price fast. New MDM X4s are getting to $600-650 now. I bought mine clean and used for $500.

The editing and access of Minidisc is wonderful - no waiting for tape to rewind, no doing a take 30 times over and then finding your tape stretched and it's warbling. Run, don't walk, to digital.

K-wey

Back