Songs without drums

rfpd

I can record some acoustic songs, but when I do eletric, it always sounds empty without the drums, and since I can't drum I get limited there. However a lot of indie artists don't use drums, like sufjan stevens, I mean should I learn piano keyboard to make more full indie sounds? I do like a lot of Hendrix and Jack White, but yeah,can't drum and don't know anyone that can ahah. My point being, what are the instruments that can full up a song without the need of drums?

A fair number of home recording folks use plugins like EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer to add drums to tracks.

You can always experiment with some simple hand percussion, like shakers, whether real, MIDI, or looped tracks, to add rhythmic elements, too. In short, you can add any number of percussive instruments, including piano, but it's never going to be the same as if it has drums. You have to ask yourself if adding piano to your song is going to take it where you want, or software percussion might get what you want. (A decent MIDI keyboard wouldn't be a waste for either choice, though!)

A fair number of home recording folks use plugins like EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer to add drums to tracks.

You can always experiment with some simple hand percussion, like shakers, whether real, MIDI, or looped tracks, to add rhythmic elements, too. In short, you can add any number of percussive instruments, including piano, but it's never going to be the same as if it has drums. You have to ask yourself if adding piano to your song is going to take it where you want, or software percussion might get what you want. (A decent MIDI keyboard wouldn't be a waste for either choice, though!)

Thanks for the answer! They use presets? Or do they make the beat?

They do have some MIDI grooves included, and Toontrack sells additional MIDI packs as well.

Or you can tap out rhythms with your mouse/keyboard or a MIDI controller and build the beats yourself.

If you want to try out that technique, take a look at the free MT Power Drumkit 2. It's a really basic version of the same thing that EZDrummer, Superior Drummer, etc. accomplish.

You can do either or both. As discussed in another thread, the more sophisticated software drummers actually play somewhat randomly on sampled drumkits so the effect can be very realistic.

I'm no drummer so I stay away from doing any "programming" unless I'm simply tapping out a quarter note kick beat. I do mix up the different loops in EZ Drummer, for instance, using the presets for verse, chorus, fills, and perhaps choosing a different one here and there, but the last couple times I've used the "drummers" in Logic Pro X, which follow the arrangement track, and randomize all of that stuff for me.

T Rex .ride a white swan (the recording ). Don't think there's drums in there . Sounds like hand claps tambourine. A few muted bits on electric guitar and a fairly staccato type bass line . I'm listening on a phone so I might be a bit out . In other words you might also get a punchier rhythm out of playing style

Also there are a lot of midi files that u can use with a VI drum program. A different approach is to use guitars and basses as rhythmic elements. Palm mutes can be used for kick or snare patterns depending on left hand placement. Popping on a bass or even on a damped guitar can create fill type sounds. Tapping on pickups, bodies, etc. Hand claps and snaps, banging on an over turned bucket. Anything can be used for creating a beat if its a staccato sound. Look at beat boxing. No instruments required.

On one song I recorded, I used trash cans, seats, pots, what ever I could think of and created my loops. Mixed to taste and there was not a "real" drum in the song. To the point of others, there are no rules really.

It's strange, but sometimes having an acoustic rhythm guitar with electric overdubs on top can fill up the space a little better, if you're going for a rock-y but not heavy sound. "Last Call" by Elliott Smith is a good example. If you are going for something a little harder then either going the drum programming route or finding a real drummer are your only options if you want actual drum sounds. I met the drummer I currently work with on craigslist, it can be dicey trying to find people on there but it's possible. Hope I gave you some ideas.

Playing drums isn't that different from playing any instrument, but everyone has an aptitude for some form of instrument. I know how to play drums, but even though I have a real and electronic kit, and can play quite a few instruments, drums is not for me simply because I don't have the required limb coordination - doesn't stop me creating drum tracks though? Thump-crack for star and kick in one pass, hats in the next and then fills and stuff in another. My real drummer friends often tell me that I need to count limbs - because sometimes I create stuff impossible to play without an extra arm!

You mention filling the track up, but surely that depends on the track. A voice and guitar track often doesn't need filling out, but another could be jam packed. Whatever the song needs is the rule. You also said about learning to play keyboards. This could be exactly the same but even more difficult than learning the drums. Can you manage the keys? Not for everyone. Pretty much its often not the content, its how you play it.

On one song I recorded, I used trash cans, seats, pots, what ever I could think of and created my loops. Mixed to taste and there was not a "real" drum in the song. To the point of others, there are no rules really.

ATA BOY! The only rule is THERE ARE NO RULES! It isn't a competition, it's a gift to enjoy and entertain ones self with and when possible with others

Back