Software: something like Audacity, but with real-time effects and sound control ?

fii

Hey
I am mainly using Audacity to record stuff at the moment, and I decided to find something that would let me edit the sound in realtime - so I could for example record something, then play it and edit things while playing, add delays on the track, all kind of effects, change tones etc. and maybe record again, while playing all this track being edited on the go. Something like this.
Also, I would like to have more effects than audacity offers, maybe some rare pedals and guitar amps - but actually what I really love is complex delay options...

the quality of audacity sound doesnt seem that great as well..
Overall I love this program and I still use it but I would like to upgrade from it to something I just described...

Is there something like this while being quite simple, like audacity?

Thanks!!!!!!

You want a proper DAW program by the sound of it. That's what they do. Are they as simple as Audacity? No. They're not too hard to work out though.

Try Reaper on a free trial. There are many others, but this will give you an idea, without paying anything, whether this is where you need to go.

You can load up various free/$ "VST" effects and they have a load of inbuilt ones to work with anyway.

And there's no fundamental problem with the sound quality in Audacity. Many people here, me included, use it for what it was intended for, which is probably not what you're using it for.

Fii is right, you should move up to something like Reaper.

the quality of audacity sound doesnt seem that great as well..

Sequencers only play back the .wav files that are fed into them.
Any deficiencies in the sound are coming from your room or your soundcard/equipment.

Fii is right, you should move up to something like Reaper.

Sequencers only play back the .wav files that are fed into them.
Any deficiencies in the sound are coming from your room or your soundcard/equipment.

Right, playback is the same, but maybe he was talking about the plugins? :confused:

Yes, Reaper all the way..But,
I always suggest Peeps give MAGIX Samplitude Silver a fair go. Only 8 tracks but runs the Vst stuff, got an excellent MP3 converter in it.
N.B! Do not download MAGIX Music maker by mistake, not a "proper" DAW.

Dave.

well ive never used reaper but it sounds like it might be the way to go. However, although its more of a beatmaking software, ive recorded vocals in real time w/effects in Fl studio. Its fairly simple to use, and money wise fl studio comes in a lite and affordable option. I would check it out if reaper doesnt work out

well ive never used reaper but it sounds like it might be the way to go. However, although its more of a beatmaking software, ive recorded vocals in real time w/effects in Fl studio. Its fairly simple to use, and money wise fl studio comes in a lite and affordable option. I would check it out if reaper doesnt work out

For DJing, music production, a lot of people use Ableton or FL. I was reading about an open source software that is like FL and Abelton called LMMS. Ardour if you are using Linux or OSX. So there are alternatives.

There was one other one that looked promising that I had found earlier, but can't seem to find it any longer. If I find it again I will post it. You might want to do some research and see if you can find more alternatives.

Ableton live might fit the bill. I would not characterize Reaper as a "beat making" program even though you can use it for that, it is a fully functioning workstation for music production. (recording, editing and mixing). Ableton is geared toward live performance and pretty cool. I have demoed it a couple of times and liked it but for what I do ( mix, record) Reaper is my go to software.

Back