Soft Sytns: Acoustic... instruments???

Forte

Applied Acoustics Systems

Tassman DXi

Tassman is a truly modular soft synth based on advanced physical modeling. It can be used to create vintage analog synths, acoustic instruments, or unique hybrid constructions.

I've been looking into soft synths - I really want something that'll emulate classical instruments. I've heard great things about Steinbergs' VST, but I wanted to check out what Cakewalk had to offer with DXi. Anyway, that's a direct quote from their site, but, what the hell is an acoustic "instrument"? If I'm correct, that would be an instrument that doesn't produce sound with the help of electronics; so does that basically include any instrument? Like a violin or trumpet? Kind of weird don't you think? To say that a synth produces "acoustic" music.... Maybe if they would have said “emulates” I wouldn’t be so confused. :p

Well, your question seemed kind of rhetorical and it finally ended up looking more like a philosophical insight rather than a specific quest for information...:)

Is there something a little more specific that you would like to ask? Barring the possibility that you will work it out by yourself in the end...:p :D

:o I want to know what an acoustic "instrument" is. I think it's just any instrument that doesn't really use electrity (pretty much), but I want to make sure my assumption is correct.

That is indeed correct. At least for the most part.
But acoustic is also used to refer to sounds produced by a synth that sound "acoustic", like guitars, piano, strings etc.
So in the end you are still correct. They are emulated, and you probably would rightfully so, be less confused if they just said that in the first place.:D

What do you mean by "classical instruments"? You just want acoustic sounding stuff? Like orchestral sounds and strings and stuff?

Yes, "orchestral" - strings, horns, woodwinds, etc.
I heard Stienberg emulates some of the best stuff with VST, but when I wanted to compare it to Cakewalk's soft synth, and came upon "acoustic instruments", I just got all confuzzled.

Nice.:rolleyes: :p

Yes, all those would be considered acoustic. I'm more of a non acoustical type of guy, so I don't know of any particular softsynths to reccomend. There's a ton of them out there and most of them have demo's so just check em out before you buy.

You might also consider an inexpensive module likie the Roland jv1010. It's my choice for sounds like that. (when I get into an acoustic mood);)

Forte said:
Well, that explains why Tex has so many posts. :p

Thanks for your help though. :D

I guess to be helpfull I could tell you that softsynths suck and the best orchestral sounds I have found so far are in the Kurzweil K series with the Orchestral RAM.

Really? Cool, thanks. :D
Only problem is, I've never heard of those things - now imma have to do more searches, find more reviews, and demo more things...!
Damn you! :mad:

Speaking of which, I need help with something else; I seem to have lost my wallet, may I borrow yours? :)

Back