Small Recording Space Sound Treatment Help

nobando

Hello, this is my first post here because I needed some affordable options to acoustically treat my 8'x15' finished shed. I have 3 audimute blankets up but I am primarily an Alto sax player and the slapback I get is pretty bad and very metallic sounding. I also record my distance learning videos, I teach music, in addition to my sax, guitar, and vocals. I've called audio folks that sells panels and things like that but hoping for a more affordable way to handle this slapback. I have a link of some images of the room below, and as you can see I put some carpets down. I know this is seen as not good, but really need to tame those high frequencies for now with what I have. I think the ceiling is where I have been researching which is likely the culprit. But not sure where to go from here. I really only recording and play where you see the blue carpet, not the desk area. I really appreciate any help and apologies if this has been covered over and over again.

Thank you.

Photos are here, photos.app.goo.gl/tyR3xV4MKq2ijyLaA.

You can make your own acoustic panels using Roxul rockwool or Owens Corning OC703/705 (just search youtube) - as much as you can cram into the space! 2" thick on the ceiling will help, you've got a ton of corners reflecting soundwaves, too.

You can make your own acoustic panels using Roxul rockwool or Owens Corning OC703/705 (just search youtube) - as much as you can cram into the space! 2" thick on the ceiling will help, you've got a ton of corners reflecting soundwaves, too.

Thank you! I really only have room on the ceiling for something like this. I see they come in packs of six. Putting six 2'x4' would not be too much? Would I be able to remove the carpet?

Not being an acoustic engineer, I would agree your ceiling is a major contributor with your sax pointed straight at it's highly reflective surface.

BTW, are those blankets helping at all? Do you notice more of a difference playing guitar than with your sax?

Those blankets are interesting. I'm going to be recording some relatively loud vocals later this year in my bedroom studio - those are something to be considered. I'm using Roxul mainly to block outside noise and will need more of it or another product to absorb inside sound.

I could not find a way to open your photos so..

You stated 'finished' shed. Is that an actual shed that the open area above is just roof trusses? How high are the ceilings? You could most cheaply have an open breathing cavity with insulation there.

Update, I got the pix.

The ceiling is killing you man. I would possibly suggest 2" thick 2'x4' panels of rockwool or more expensive OC703 (easier to place) staggered. I don't think you would need to hang them with gap from ceiling. Just some control of upper frequencies better/cheaper than foam treatment would.

I do not wish to give you poor advice here. I have actually no experience in your particular needs. I would think that rockwool or OC703 would work better than foam attached to ceiling? I have never actually heard specs on that. Usually it is trying to get broadband absorption by creating air gap between solid surface and the room. In your limited space, height is a factor.

I gave up on bothering with ceiling reflections, but I have an open ceiling on lower level. Was easy to open the space and fill with treatment and cover with cloth.

Hope any of this helps. I am also curious how you fare.

Best!

Last edited:
Thank you both! I have been looking at hanging ceiling tiles in addition to some reflective surfaces. I might have to bite the bullet and start with some ceiling absorption first.

The blankets are good, I wouldn't say they make much of a difference for sound proofing, more just acoustic treatment within the room. No one complains where I am at so no worries there.

Back