Singer songwriter mixing

I was just thinking to myself while I was in the shower. What if.. you recorded a guitar track (mic or direct-in) and then used a ping-pong delay, but set the delay so fast that it almost appears the sound is to the left and right almost simultaneous and giving it a nice wide stereo sound that way without having to multi track and use other tricks? Or am i thinking beyond the realm or overlooking something. Food for thought

I can see Eddie Kramer setting something up like that for Jimi in 1967. I can't see doing that for a singer/songwriter with an acoustic guitar and a vocal mic.

I was just thinking to myself while I was in the shower. What if.. you recorded a guitar track (mic or direct-in) and then used a ping-pong delay, but set the delay so fast that it almost appears the sound is to the left and right almost simultaneous and giving it a nice wide stereo sound that way without having to multi track and use other tricks? Or am i thinking beyond the realm or overlooking something. Food for thought

Try it!

(Acoustic guitar + vocalist here)
Apologies if it's been asked already. I know we're always told that a mix depends on the song you're playing and the vocals etc but as a busker myself in the past no matter what songs I played live it always sounded good (on the same EQ settings).
Why is recording so much different and Why do I find it so hard to record a simple acoustic + vocal track and making it sound professional or nice and crisp and wide without having it muddy and distorted. I acknowledge there are so many different ways to record and shape but surely there's a quick simple way to accomplish this

PS: THE 2000+ buttons in a DAW (I use studio one/little bit of ableton live) gives me fright and have no idea where to begin with plug-ins

It's a different thing completely! Musicianonamission is a great resource. It's well worth watching their free masterclass to grasp the basic concepts and their YouTube channel's very good.

Mike Senior's Mixing Secrets book covers all the key concepts and for Ableton, Ableton Live Power is a really good book that's a bit more detailed than the Live manual.

If you want to record high quality stuff you need to study a bit, but failing this, EQ and compression are your friends.

Back