Signal Flow anyone?

bigwillz24

Signal Flow Explained....

What is it?

Where do the dynamic processors go?

Where do the effects go?

From the input from the Mic to the output of the Monitors...

Just how do you explain signal flow?

(I know its a tall order but take your time :) )

Last edited:
:eek: Holy Moly Big Willis:

Beeg question you ask.

I'll just try and give you a short answer.

Variations! Wherever there is a person recording, you will find variations to a normal IN to OUT to somewhere.

But, many folks run their mic cable, a good mic of course, to a mic preamp, a good mic preamp of course. From the mic preamp, you CAN run into a compressor and from the compressor into a recording track. [I use a studio in a box so my response may reflect that type of unit as opposed to a PC system.

REVERB? A good addition to vocals and "some" instruments, for a special effect. Again, we run into "ear" variables--the individual hears and enjoys a certain reverb effect--someone else listens and says, "that's sick.." Well, you do what you like to hear and enjoy. If it's for big money, that's another program.

Reverb can be added to any track whenever you want.

When tracks are recorded, the fun part starts and that's mixing down into a stereo two track to burn into a CD.

Not enough space to go into that. EQ, dynamics, more reverb, panning, etc., all comes into play when you mix.

So, you will have to do some recording, some inputs, some changing of plugs and cables, and then mix and then swear a bit and have a beer, and maybe you'll come up with a CD that you enjoy.

That's the fun of recording. Each time you turn on your system, YOU WILL LEARN SOMETHING. And, reading the talent on this site will certainly enhance your efforts.

Happy Memorial Day
Green Hornet :D

Thanks Hornet I want to have more than one explanation of it.
So... heres my version. :)

I asked this question in the Newb Section because I think it is important that all newbs know this information. I did a search and did not see it elsewhere on this board.

I'm no Pro and if some of what I say is wrong let me know and I'll edit it.

Whether you are running analog or digital it is important to know how your "audio" signal flows.

Think of your mixer (analog or digital) as a complex water pipeline when you put water in the pipes at one end (the mic or instrument) it flows down the channel and hits the first valve (the trim or preamp) depending on which way you turn the valve you can let more water in the pipe or take water out controlling the rate of flow. Now you want a good strong water pressure in the pipes but not so much water that it is going to cause your pipes to burst under the pressure. In audio this is called "gainstaging".

After hitting the first valve the water flow travels down the channel to where the pipe splits off in several places and at each split a valve is located. You have a choice of go letting some of the water go through one or all of these pipelines. This lines are called auxillary lines. On these lines lie a bunch of "water plants" they add additives to your water to make it taste good. In audio the reverb and effects would be on these lines. The water that comes from the Auxillaries can be released back into the Main channel of water or go out its own special pipes where only certain people can have a drink of it.

The water that travels past the Auxillary lines you have an option to purify the water or keep the good old Spring water. In audio we call this section the EQ.

After the water travels down the channel Past the EQ it reaches on last valve on the channel. This valve allows you mix what is left of your water with the water from other sources. In audio it's known as the Channel Fader.

After the Channel Fader the water is dumped in the Main Channel with the water from the other channels and (if any) the water from the auxillary Channels. There is one valve here that controls how much water is let out at a time. It is called the Master Fader. After the water gets past the Master Fader it gets distributed out to main channels where everyone can enjoy your water.

Understanding how water flows through these channels will help you to get some of the best tasting water out of your speakers you've ever had. :D

Last edited:
:cool: Yo Willz of Enlarged:

Your water/pipe/music flow analogy is nice. But, remember, analogies are nice but analogies do not prove. They serve to make a concept of something that is not understood, like the signal chain of recording, by comparing it to a more commonly understood concept, such as water flowing into pipes and channels and funnels.

But, you must remember, analogies do not PROVE.

Analogies serve to make a concept clear. Many sermons are built on analogies, as well as many concepts taught in school.

However, the "variables" may take much longer to understand, as I mentioned in my last post.

But, cheers for your fine analogy.

The Green Hornet said:
:cool: Yo Willz of Enlarged:

Your water/pipe/music flow analogy is nice. But, remember, analogies are nice but analogies do not prove. They serve to make a concept of something that is not understood, like the signal chain of recording, by comparing it to a more commonly understood concept, such as water flowing into pipes and channels and funnels.

But, you must remember, analogies do not PROVE.

Analogies serve to make a concept clear. Many sermons are built on analogies, as well as many concepts taught in school.

However, the "variables" may take much longer to understand, as I mentioned in my last post.

But, cheers for your fine analogy.

Bump......

Excellent stuff ... my thirst for the knowledge of the flow has been sated.....until the next lesson, that is..... :cool:

Back