Side Address Microphones in Stereo Arrangements.

ohoke

Hi there -
I am new to recording (and the forum).
I'm interested in trying some stereo patterns, such as ORTF and X/Y. (There is a wikipedia article under Stereophonic Sound, but I'm unable to post the link since I'm a newbie).

However, I only have a pair of side-address microphones (I'm not sure what the technical term is for the microphones used in the diagrams..pencil microphones?)...

Can I use side-address for these techniques? Is there a difference?

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to HR! :)

Sure, you can do X/Y etc with your side address microphones.

The only real difference is you may not be able to get the capsules just as close together as you would with pencil microphones, since the housing/headbaskets are bigger,
but it's not really going to make a noticeable difference to your recordings.

No - the critical factor is simply orientation. With two mics of this kind, you mount them above each other. The first one in the normal orientation, then the other above it hanging down so their grills nearly touch. You then spin them on the verticals axis so the capsules aim differently by the amount required for the specific technique. For X/Y the idea is to get the two capsules as close to each other as you can. Side by side or one above the other is immaterial. With ORFT, the capsules have to be spaced apart anyway, so they can go next to each other, then you splay them apart. Works fine. Look at it just from the capsule point of view. The housing they're in just holds them in space.

Assuming you meant side address and not figure 8 yes you can use them.

x/y is bet done with two end fed mikes. but if you rotate your side address and get them close to each other at 90 degrees they should work.

ORTF only works for that one dutch auditorium and their orchestra.
It is just one of many near spaced configurations with varying distances and angles used to get the best for a given room and performers.

there are web sites with java aps that show you how two angles and distances will perform to guide you.
Stereo Recording Angle Visualization SRA stereo microphone angle system array audio orchestra angle reproduction width main microphone stereo ORTF EBS NOS XY MS AB Tony Faulkner calculator Tonmeister questions and answers applets apps applications co
Visualization of ORTF Stereo Microphone System mic angle 110deg spacing 17 cm equivalence system - Array with two microphones Time of arrical difference mic - Stereo recording angle SRA time difference level difference mic orchestra angle degrees visualisator XY MS - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin
Visualization of all stereo microphone systems arrays with two microphones ierung aller Stereo-Mikrofonsysteme with equivalence stereo - Stereo recording angle SRA Audio two microphones time difference level difference orchestra angle Visualisator Calculations - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin
Visualization of all stereo microphone systems arrays with two microphones ierung aller Stereo-Mikrofonsysteme with equivalence stereo - Stereo recording angle SRA Audio two microphones time difference level difference orchestra angle Visualisator Calculations - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

check out a better article at los senderos
Stereo Microphone Techniques

He talks such BS! People have been doing X/Y, M/S and variations on A/B for years with side address microphones, and stacked, one inverted mounting works just as well for the fig-8 patterns. I've no idea why he makes such blunt and wrong statements? I note he's gone now. I'm not really sure why he even used the forum, as he seemed to dislike everything everyone did?

Housings work for or against. In omni mode, for example. The transducer itself is pretty good at responding to sources arriving from any direction, as it captures air pressure. However - the mic body can block that path. A hand held, cylindrical mic with the XLR on the endwise put a 'dent' in the polar pattern. In a side address mic used normally, the 'dent' is facing the floor, which might be an improvement. 6 people around one omni works well for a side address. 6 people around a pencil omni mic means you must use it vertically to allow direct paths, and socket down, it can even work OK on a table. It's a physical think really. If you ever get an omni, it's quite odd how little it changes the sounds when you move it around - hence why they're good for interview mics - an omni on a long handle.

Back