Sibilance problem with AT2020 and Scarlett 2i2

Jogah

Hi all!

I saw this forum and I hope that you guys could help me with this ...

I use a AT2020 and Scarlett 2i2 to stream on twitch, I been reading a lot about EQ, Compressors de-essers and nothing is working for me, there is still some explosions on sibilance that almost hurts your ears...

What can you recommend me to try? I am open to hear if a new mic (and which one) would be needed to solve this problem :)

Thanks for your help guys and sorry for my broken english, saludos from Barcelona.

( I will link a vÃ*deo of one of the streams so you can see what I am talking about, some essing sounds are not bad but other ones are just too much: twitch.tv/videos/546919432 )

The term "explosions" suggests what's called a plosive, which can happen on S, P, B and other consonants. It sounds like a big boom or thud and is the result of a blast of air moving over the mic. The cure for that is a mesh pop screen. Foam can also work.

Sibilance is just the sound of an S. It's generally an over-bright, cutting S sound.

The term "explosions" suggests what's called a plosive, which can happen on S, P, B and other consonants. It sounds like a big boom or thud and is the result of a blast of air moving over the mic. The cure for that is a mesh pop screen. Foam can also work.

Sibilance is just the sound of an S. It's generally an over-bright, cutting S sound.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, its more on S sounds, you can see it on the link, P's and b's are ok. I have a foam cover over the at2020, I dont know if there is any kind of screens or covers for the mic to help me with the excess of air on essing...?

I listened to some of the video. I didn't hear any real problem and it's way too long to listen to the whole thing.

If the S sounds are causing a low frequency rumbling sound, a pop screen is the way to go. The typical kind used in studios has a round frame on a flexible arm. A nylon mesh is stretched across the frame. The flexible arm has a clamp on the other end. They are widely available but since I'm in the US the stores I use might not exist in your country.

Technically speaking, a foam cover that completely covers the mic element is a windscreen. It does a very similar job to a pop screen but might not be as effective.

I listened to some of the video. I didn't hear any real problem and it's way too long to listen to the whole thing.

If the S sounds are causing a low frequency rumbling sound, a pop screen is the way to go. The typical kind used in studios has a round frame on a flexible arm. A nylon mesh is stretched across the frame. The flexible arm has a clamp on the other end. They are widely available but since I'm in the US the stores I use might not exist in your country.

Technically speaking, a foam cover that completely covers the mic element is a windscreen. It does a very similar job to a pop screen but might not be as effective.

Thanks again for taking your time on this!

Maybe it is me comparing my sound to other videos or streamers, with my headphones I can notice the S sounds pretty hard sometimes, a friend told me the same thing.

Would this pop screen help for this issue better than the foam cover?

Cubre.jpg

Thanks!!

Search some videos of Vern Graner who does the sounds for some very popular podcasts and youtube shows. He does INCREDIBLE work with 2020's theres one where the guest speakers mic had to do double duty as an acoustic guitar mic, it was insane, especially when it went off axis and still sounded good...for instance YouTube

It sounds incredible...

I dont know if they do some kind of treatment after the reording or if it is live. Anyway I would love to accomplish something similar or at least solve this essing sounds that sometimes makes ears bleed.

Thanks for showing me!

Just to be clear, even though I've gone over it twice, the problem a pop filter solves isn't sibilance. A pop filter prevents plosives. Plosives can be caused by S sounds, but they're more commonly caused by P sounds. If the problem is a sharp, cutting S sound (that doesn't go "boom"), that is sibilance and won't be fixed by a pop filter. You would need to apply eq or a compressor with a sidechain setup, or a dedicated de-esser.

Just to be clear, even though I've gone over it twice, the problem a pop filter solves isn't sibilance. A pop filter prevents plosives. Plosives can be caused by S sounds, but they're more commonly caused by P sounds. If the problem is a sharp, cutting S sound (that doesn't go "boom"), that is sibilance and won't be fixed by a pop filter. You would need to apply eq or a compressor with a sidechain setup, or a dedicated de-esser.

Thanks again!

I will keep trying with different dessers and different settings on EQ's and compressors. I tried a bunch of them and still did not find the one that really solves it.

If anyone haves any suggestion I will try it out.

Back