Shure SM58 and X-fi Titanium HD not working in Windows 7

sendjm

Hi everyone!

My SM58 microphone is not working for some reason.
I opened up the top of the microphone and there were two lines (one green, one yellow) all connected.
But the microphone just won't record anything. The computer doesn't seem to receive any sound input using the mic.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Thank you so much!

Hi everyone!

My SM58 microphone is not working for some reason.
I opened up the top of the microphone and there were two lines (one green, one yellow) all connected.
But the microphone just won't record anything. The computer doesn't seem to receive any sound input using the mic.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Thank you so much!

I do not know HOW you have attempted to connect an SM57 to this!...
Creative Support Mondial > Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
But the card clearly does not have an XLR microphone input. Neither will it have anything like enough "gain", amplifying capacity, to produce a signal even if you could successfully connect it.

If you wanted to retain that Creative (not!) card you will need a small mixer to amplify the mic and deliver a "line level" signal to the card. A mixer such as the Behringer Xenyx 802 is good value. If you are UK based I see cpc.co.uk are still selling the Soundcraft Notebooks at 40quid or so, good kit.

But, many here will tell you(and I tend to agreee) that your best plan is to ditch the card (give it to someone you really don't like) and buy a modest Audio Interface, something from Focusrite, M-Audio, Native Instruments, Tascam, all have their merits.

Dave.

Well, i did spend some money on the card, and it is relatively new, so i dun think i'll get rid of it soon.
I was hoping i could find a work around while keeping the soundcard.

I thought Titanium HD, although far from being very good, was a card capable of doing lots of stuff for a casual user.
I play games and watch movies, and i'd like to do some home recording just for fun.
All i wanted for it to do was record. :P
guess i shuda done more research being buying the mic. I just bought it cuz it had good reviews...
maybe buy a pc mic woulda been better?

so, what i need now is a mixer?
i'll look into the behringer... thx

So how did you connect the mic to the computer?

well, i'm kinda puzzled as to y ppl r surprised i got the mic connected to the soundcard.
perhaps i'm wrong, but the jack right next to the speaker jack seems to be the right size for my sm58.
i plugged the microphone right into the back of the titanium HD (in one of the smaller holes)

So, does your SM58 look like this:

5320857610.jpg

If so, then you must have an xlr cable plugged into the mic.

I assume that the X-FI takes a 1/8" plug like this:

1055.gif

If so, then you must have some kind of adapter between the mic cable and the 1/8 plug. Yes?

Mate, you're going to be an exercise in frustration for yourself and everyone else around here unless you answer questions with a bit of clarity.

"I plugged it into a hole" does not answer the question. What lead are you using and, what sort of "hole" is it?

And the last thing you need is a mixer. Read all the threads up at the top of the forum, answer the questions people are asking with a bit more thought and detail and perhaps we'll get somewhere.

I play games and watch movies, and i'd like to do some home recording just for fun.

Maybe you should stick to the games and movies. That's what the soundcard is best for.

Recording just for fun? Just get a PC headset. It won't sound much good, but it's just for fun, so that shouldn't matter.

The others are right. Despite the high price, the X Fi Titanium HD is optimised for playback of games and music with only limited capability for recording microphones.

That said, I suspect your problem is simply that your XLR to mini jack adaptor cable is probably wired wrong. Since a mic is a mono source, you'll want an adaptor with Pin 2 of the XLR to the tip of a 2 pole 1/8th inch jack and pins 1 and 3 linked in the XLR shell and connected to the sleeve of the mini jack.

Buying a mixer is probably a bad idea. For the same money you could get a simple USB interface with XLR input (maybe an M Audio Fast Track) which you can just plug in when you want to record your mic--this solution will almost certainly be way better quality than a cheap mixer into a gamer's card.

Hi again Sendjm.
Just in from work.

No, the card is not best suited to music recording but it WILL work and be a lot better than built in computer sound.

I always feel the term "mixer" is wrong in most home studio applications, about the LAST thing peeps do with them is mix audio! What the mixers that I have suggested will do is allow the connection of the XLR plug that should be on the mic lead (Google XLR MIC LEAD and see if you have one PDQ!) That socket will 1) be a balanced connection, vital for microphones and 2) have the gain you need to raise the very feeble mic signal up to one that the soundcard needs.

However, a mixer will also allow the OUTPUT of the soundcard to be routed back to it and this will give you vital, analogue control of playback levels. What, BTW do you listen to computer sound on?

So bottom line: If you want to keep the Creative card AND do a spot of recording, get a mixer.
If on the other hand you are not that bothered about gaming* etc and want to progress with better sound results, frisby the card and buy a usb Audio Interface.

*A computer optimized for gaming is often not so good for "serious" music work. Can do, but not the best marrige.

Dave.

I'm going to piggy back on this thread as I am trying to do the same thing, although perhaps have a little more success in that the mic is obviously being recognised and the bars are moving in "Set up Microphone" but also might be able to answer some of the questions asked on behalf of the original OP (assuming they don't know the answer...)

Some models of Soundblaster Audigy X-fi have a front panel (component inputs, SPDIF, optical out, 1/4" input / output, midi, etc), which will accept 1/4 inch jacks, and given that you can buy straight XLR -> 1/4 inch cables, I'd guess that is how they are connecting. Even if they are going to a back panel 3.5mm input, I'd guess you can get XLR -> 3.5mm? Or alternatively a 1/4" -> 3.5mm converter on the end of an XLR -> 1/4" cable will do the trick. So possibly not quite as odd as originally suggested.

I'm trying to do the same thing with an Audigy x-fi Fatality with a Shure SM58 connecting through an XLR -> 1/4" cable into the front panel. As I said, it appears to be working in that the mic is producing input noise visible (levels up to red) in "set up microphone", although as I don't have speakers plugged in yet I can't verify. One thing worth pointing out... The front panel has its own on/off volume switches for the 1/4 input / output, so if the OP has the same front panel, they may wish to make sure the knob is on and the volume is up! Otherwise, they'll need to configure their mic input in control panel.

So given that I've at least superficially got it working, I'm slightly concerned looking at this thread that I need something to amplify the input or I'm going to suffer with poor sound quality? Assuming my set up will work, what should I look at next in terms of cheap mixing software? This is purely for vocals mixing with backing. This is not something I've even considered until very recently, so an absolute novice at this!

One of these (they come in various guises and suppliers)
Microphone Transformer XLR to 1/4

Would probably help a lot but as I think I said earlier in the thread if it is imperitive that the Creative card is used then a modest mixer is far and away the best solution.
A mixer will also give you the ability to recieve signals back from the soundcard and level control them for feeding to speakers and/or headphones.

Now, I hope restraint will be exercised here and others will not pile in(again!) with "Get a 'king Audio Interface you Pelican!!!"
Many of us already know the card is not the best solution but a £50 or less mixer is 1/2 the price of a 57 and is almost as versatile and useful. In other words the OP (and hijacker!) will have lost nothing in getting one.

Software? My favourite at the moment is MAGIX Samplitude Silver. Totally free and pretty simple. Reaper is great but quite hard to get to grips with.

Dave.

I just tried to have a look on the Creative site but there's so much recycling of similar names that I gave up...so a quick lesson in audio levels.

Ignoring digital stuff like S/PDIF, there are two main "levels" of audio: microphone and line. Of the two, mic level is far quieter (because of the way mics have to create or modify the electrical current just from the movement of sound waves in the air. Mic level is typically measured in a few thousandths of a volt. Line level is the sort of voltage you'd find in mains powered electronic equipment and is typically up around 1 volt.

Because of the low level of mic signals, they're more susceptible to outside electrical interference, the norm is to raise mic signals to line level as soon as possible in the chain using a device called a mic pre amp. It's very normal for mic pre amps to be included in audio interfaces even if they're not mentioned specifically. If an input is labelled "Microphone" (or, with the Sound Blaster cards I remember, identified by the metal etched with a stylised picture of a mic) then there will be some form of pre amp inside.

In your case, if you're getting the meters on the audio set up panel bouncing up to the red, it's pretty safe to assume that the pre amp is doing its job and any problem is later on in the signal routing in the computer. In the old days, Creative used to provide a software mixer you could open and select among the various inputs on the sound card (and set levels). Typically, you'd have to set this up then go to the control panel on your DAW to select which input goes where.

That said, the mic pre amps on Creative cards were always really, really bad so, if you must use it, ecc83's idea of a small mixer is a good idea. The line level inputs are somewhat less noisy than the mic ones. That said, if it was me, I'd put the money I'd spend on a mixer into a USB interface and bypass the Sound Blaster entirely!

Thanks for the advice folks.

Yes, I do recall Creative used to have a mixing app of sorts in their software bundle, but that was long ago I think - they seem to lack software these days. It's odd - I always thought Creative were one of the quality soundcard brands! Ah well, you learn something new every day!

In my case, I suspect I'm likely to stick with what I've got short term (I'm skint!) to see if this is just a whim or whether I might acually take this a bit more seriously, and then look at mixers or audio interface cards. I think there were some recommendations above, certainly for the mixer. I'm also going to have to learn all this stuff and how mixers and amps and software options work - the mic voltage info was great, thanks!

Back