Shure SM58 or SM57

guitargirl7

Holy cow. I see now that there have been a trillion posts about these mics, comparing the two. But just one more time for me, would ya'll please give me your best advice based on this situation? I find that return policies are not very friendly today.

Within the past few weeks, I’ve posted a few threads about microphones that many of you have replied to. I’m pretty sure I’ve made up my mind to purchase either the shure SM58 or the SM57. My question is although they are both great mics, which one should I purchase?

I’ve heard a lot of people suggest that I try out mics before I buy them, but from what I’ve heard from recordings and research, both mics sound great on both female and male vocals.

Extra Info:
Equipment: m-audio fast track II, (no software yet, as I’m saving up for new. I’m downloading a trial of reaper soon).
What am I recording? – (female) vocals, my acoustic and electric guitars
What’s the purpose? – Professional musician, home studio work, YouTube & Facebook band pages. Most use will be for recording vocals, instruments second.

Thank you!

Last edited:

I've said $200 before, but seriously, $150 would be more accurate. I know this is a crappy amount to some people. I understand that I'm paying for the quality, which at $150, isn't going to do what a $3,000 mic can do. With that being said, and without sounding snobby, I am a great singer, not just some hobbyist looking to fool around. In other words, I don't need a mic to be auto tuned to make people listen.

If you have to buy one only, get the SM57 and start saving for a decent LD condenser for vocals. Neither the 57 or 58 feature often as studio vocal mics, however the 57 has many uses in terms of instrument recording, particularly loud things - I would never use it as an acoustic guitar mic, but some do. It depends upon what you're playing - perhaps OK for strumming rhythm parts, but not much chop for fingerpicking etc.

I know you've been asking these questions for a while now and I applaud you for doing your research and not rushing out and buying stuff indiscriminately - driven somewhat by budget, no doubt - but in some respects you're saying "I want to be a mechanic, what sort of screwdriver should I buy?" and the answer is that you'll probably need a variety of screwdrivers if you want to do different tasks.

So of your two choices, the 57 is more versatile in a recording situation, but expect that you'll need something different for vocals in time, which you can also probably use to get a better acoustic guitar sound as well.

In the meantime, get something and get going, and you'll work it out along the way...

I've said $200 before, but seriously, $150 would be more accurate. I know this is a crappy amount to some people. I understand that I'm paying for the quality, which at $150, isn't going to do what a $3,000 mic can do. With that being said, and without sounding snobby, I am a great singer, not just some hobbyist looking to fool around. In other words, I don't need a mic to be auto tuned to make people listen.

yeah why can't you get both, or do what armistice said and get the 57 and save for a decent condenser?

So of your two choices, the 57 is more versatile in a recording situation, but expect that you'll need something different for vocals in time, which you can also probably use to get a better acoustic guitar sound as well.

In the meantime, get something and get going, and you'll work it out along the way...

Thank you for being honest in your post, and for the great advice. When it comes to getting a better mic for vocals and possibly guitar playing in a fair price range, what would you recommend?

and also doing a lot of research before you buy is obviously good but to a certain extent it isnt that bad if you make a wrong buy. you learn from your mistakes and the best engineers would have handled many may mics which is why they are wise, so it would also give you experience in what mics are good for what and what mics fit your taste.

I'd take the 57 over the 58 personally, but really it's just a matter of opinion between the two. Definitely wouldn't get both however, because that's pretty much overkill! If I were you I'd take Armistice's advice--buy one or the other, and then start saving for a large-diaphragm condenser!

Speaking of LDCs, the Sennheiser MK4 is a pretty new mic designed especially for home and budget studios! It runs $300 so you'd have to save up a bit, but it's an AMAZING mic for the price. Just something to keep in mind for future purchases :) I'd totally vouch for it for your 2nd mic purchase later on!

I'd take the 57 over the 58 personally, but really it's just a matter of opinion between the two. Definitely wouldn't get both however, because that's pretty much overkill! If I were you I'd take Armistice's advice--buy one or the other, and then start saving for a large-diaphragm condenser!

Thanks for the advice! Quick question... in buying the sm57, what would I have to purchase to hook it up to my computer? Would I be able to hook it up via usb cable, or does it have to be hooked up to my fast track II with phantom power?

You'd hook it up to your fast track II using a male to female XLR cable.

Sm57 doesn't need phantom power, so it won't matter if thats on or off.

It's not that fussy to honest. Literally any xlr-xlr will do.

They sell super durable ones and super long ones for live use and for in studios etc, but for a single mic home studio setup, it's not gona take that much abuse, is it?

It's not that fussy to honest. Literally any xlr-xlr will do.

They sell super durable ones and super long ones for live use and for in studios etc, but for a single mic home studio setup, it's not gona take that much abuse, is it?

ok, I see what you're saying. thanks!

If you always make sure there's no strain on the connector, and you coil them up properly (twist as you go), a cheap cable will still last a lifetime, or at least for ages :p

All the acoustic guitar and vocals on my first CD were recorded on an SM57. I still use it for recording acoustic (along with a second track for the pickup sound). I tried the 'second mic technique' with an SM58 (don't think it picked up the sound as well due to the ball end) and my AKG Perception 220, and really could not discern that it was any better - of course a lot of that could be due to my mic placement technique, the room, and the guitar itself.

Shure SM58 or SM57?

Come on, this questions is another form of spam. How many times must this be asked?

Buy both, get then second hand and you will get both for the price of 1 new one.

:eatpopcorn::eatpopcorn::eatpopcorn:

If you have to buy one only, get the SM57 and start saving for a decent LD condenser for vocals.

One more question... Speaking of a more suitable mic for vocals/all around studio performance, what do you think of the blue spark? To cut to the chase, do you think it is worth my time and money to invest in the sm57, or is it smarter to just upgrade to the spark? *I know, a lot of questions, but I want to make sure I'm making the right choice!* thanks again man,

Back