Shure SM58 or SM57

My 2 cents worth,
The 57 and 58 are almost identical except the 58 has a large ball/screen. The sure people intended the 58 as a vocal mic and the 57 for guitar cabinets, drums etc, though my first mic was a 57 and I sang into it for years. They are both fine mics and are true workhorses. You could use a 57 for a hammer and it will just keep on ticking.

Both are dynamic mics so you don't need phantom power. For what you intend to use it for though, why not look at a condenser mic. It is more suited to home studio recording. Dynamics in my opinion are for live work. You can get a relatively decent condenser mic for $100-$150. I got an MXL990 online for $60 on sale. Not a Neumann by any means , but I have made great vocal recordings with it. There's the AT2020, all kinds of condensers in your price range. They will need phantom power, but your Fast Track has that. I will get a lot of argument, but the off-shore mics have improved significantly in the last few years.

Is that because you don't want to be accidentally overheard talking about Bobbsy in between songs? :p
Good mic Bobbsy, now go use it and post up some clips!
nah ...... I'm just used to having one ...... if you suddenly get feedback you can immediately stop it.
Don't forget ....... mostly everyone here is a recordist ..... I'm primarily a live player so everything I do is related to live use.
I will get some clips up Monday though .............

Back