Shure SM58 commentary

DarrenVocal

For gaming commentary, let's say, you want to record your voice. Is it advisable that you remove the integrated pop filter ( Which doesn't work properly IMO ) and replace it for an external pop filter? I've done some experiments and the pop filter makes the microphone more muddled ( if that is the right term ) . What are you guy's opinion on this?

Two answers:

First, if it sounds better to you, go for it. Just be certain your monitoring can be trusted.

Second, if an SM58 with windscreen sound muddy to you, you're likely using the wrong microphone. An SM57 is essentially the same mic but without the wind screen. Or pretty well any condenser will have more upper end clarity (and, therefore, a less muddy character) than pretty well any dynamic.

Bear in mind that an SM57 is most often used on a stage where some angst-ridden singer is pouring/screaming his/her heart out whilst said SM57 is halfway down their throat.

So think of the guard and filtery bit as less of a pop filter and more of a sponge...

I've heard your voice, and I think an SM57 will probably be OK for what you want to do, but if you're getting too many "pops" you might want to rig up a separate filter...

actually, in my experience the sm58 eliminates the most pop when your mouth is up against the screen. Its like the air doesn't have time to make a big impact, or it gets reflected right off. If you bring your mouth back even an inch or so, you get pops. So put it right against your mouth.

if you have any EQ controls, lower some of your bass to kill the last bits of boom.

also, yes, the screen on the sm58 is going to reflect a certain amount of high frequencies. Taking off the screen may make it less muddy, but it could have other effects... test them both, see what you like. make sure you listen to it on a few different devices.

\ An SM57 is essentially the same mic but without the wind screen.

I hear they're using a different diaphragm now between the 57 and the 58.

EDIT: I think it was you that said they are using a different diaphragm!

They still sound the same to me anyway, so it doesn't make any difference to me at least.

The AKG Perception 170 is "road hardened" and just the job for such an application. A sponge spittrap is advised. The P 170 is also cheaper than the 57/58.

Do not forget as has been mentioned, that close talking will illicit proximity effect in any directional mic and need considerable LF cut.

Dave.

I hear they're using a different diaphragm now between the 57 and the 58.

EDIT: I think it was you that said they are using a different diaphragm!

They still sound the same to me anyway, so it doesn't make any difference to me at least.

Yup, almost certainly 'twas me. The Shure part numbers for replacement capsules are now different and, looking at the pictures, the physical design is considerably changed. However, I agree that the sound is virtually identical so I assume is more to do with different ways of mounting the capsule rather than an audio change.

As I understand it, the difference between r59 and r57 is the housing.
I haven't seen a cartridge for sale without either the 57 or 58 plastics.

I've assumed the same thing about the R57 and R59--but a change in the mount can also affect the sound (sometimes slightly, sometimes a lot) even with the same capsules.

Just a silly question guys: What makes a microphone suited for vocal?

The one that the vocalist sounds best with it. There is no 'suited' mic, per any given genre or person. It takes experimentation, and knowledge gained from that, to take a guess at what will work on any given performer.

Will a D112 sound great on a vocal track? Not likely, though a 'Cookie Monster' vocal track might sound great with it. lol! Actually, it might work.

No one mic is suited for everything. That is why recording enthusiasts have many microphones. No one mic is perfect for anything. But experience/advice, tends to give direction, as to the most likely mic for the occasion.

Everything can be recorded with a SM58. Will it make a sound? Yes. Will it sound like I want it to? Maybe. Is it the best mic for the source I am recording? You insert your answer here.

The one that the vocalist sounds best with it. There is no 'suited' mic, per any given genre or person. It takes experimentation, and knowledge gained from that, to take a guess at what will work on any given performer.

Will a D112 sound great on a vocal track? Not likely, though a 'Cookie Monster' vocal track might sound great with it. lol! Actually, it might work.

No one mic is suited for everything. That is why recording enthusiasts have many microphones. No one mic is perfect for anything. But experience/advice, tends to give direction, as to the most likely mic for the occasion.

Everything can be recorded with a SM58. Will it make a sound? Yes. Will it sound like I want it to? Maybe. Is it the best mic for the source I am recording? You insert your answer here.

Thanks, so I take it that "best" just refers to your opinion hmm?

Yup. And everyone's taste is different (I go for a brighter, crisper sound than many) and the voice I record are also all different.

Just as an example, one voice artist I know of (can't think of his name but he does the super-low "Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the Cave" type stuff uses a short shotgun designed for field recording. Why? The extreme proximity effect gives him the sound he wants.

Back