Shure SM57;SM58

AddisonXI

Argumentative...
I've found my Audio Interface(M-Audio Fast Track Pro) now I'm looking at Mics. I know I've read plenty of posts about these two mics since I've been looking into recording. I look at them and just see a different look. Can someone explain are there any true pros or cons to these mics? And would I be able to notice a difference if I got one or the other. Thanks guys ^_^

They're basically the same thing, the grill on top is different. They advertise the 58 as a vocal and the 57 as an instrumental mic. If I could choose only one, I'd get the 57. They're both great mics, awesome value for money, and they get almost any job done. If, however, you're a singer song writer interested in doing acoustic recordings you'll probably be better off with an LDC. You can use that for your vocals and acoustic guitar.

The 57 and the 58 are essentially the same mic. If you look at them on a frequency response chart you'll see slight differences. The differences are there, but barely audible in most home recording scenarios.

Much of the difference can be traced to the ball-shaped windscreen on the 58. Remove that from a 58 and you essentially have a 57.

The 58 is a 57 with a bigger pop/spit guard and a bass roll off. The 57 would be better for recording, even vocals. Like Saads said though, if it's just studio stuff you're doing a Large Diaphragm Condenser would be better. Something like Welcome to sE Electronics

The 58 is a 57 with a bigger pop/spit guard and a bass roll off. The 57 would be better for recording, even vocals. Like Saads said though, if it's just studio stuff you're doing a Large Diaphragm Condenser would be better. Something like Welcome to sE Electronics

That is a good mic right there. You could probably get a couple 57s and 58s in that price, but still a lot cheaper than other LDCs.

I will be recording a few different things including acoustic, electric, bass, and vocals. Maybe Sax. I think I'm going to go for the SM57 to begin with... The LDCs seem to be a bit more expensive right?

Also, do I really need a pair of headphones that cost $100 dollars. Lol. How in the heck can a pair of headphones but that expensive. I'm looking at different brands. One costs 200... I mean wow. So, question being.. How bout that 30 dollar pair I see? ^_^

Also, do I really need a pair of headphones that cost $100 dollars. Lol. How in the heck can a pair of headphones but that expensive. I'm looking at different brands. One costs 200... I mean wow. So, question being.. How bout that 30 dollar pair I see? ^_^
It really depends what you need them for.

I will be recording a few different things including acoustic, electric, bass, and vocals. Maybe Sax. I think I'm going to go for the SM57 to begin with... The LDCs seem to be a bit more expensive right?

The SE will be good for all those things and will last you. Having said that SM57 will last you and be a great mice to have so you should definitely get one anyway, but if you're unlikely to be able to afford another mic in a while, I'd go for the SE. It's a work horse.

As for headphone, like grimtraveller said, what are you using them for? Just tracking or are you mixing on them

I haven't even started recording yet or learning how to record/produce.. So how bout I'll be using them for tracking??(I assume this is laying down single tracks over one another?) I am a brand spankin new newbie in the audio industry. My only knowledge is playing instruments themselves.

There are headphones that cost a LOT more than that. The $100 ones are a good starting point. Be sure they are tight fitting and the leakage is minimal.

I'd go for some earbuds to be honest. They are great for spill and you can use them in your day to day life to get used to them. Being used to how they sound is more important that spending loads of money. I sit on the train editing and rough balancing on my earbud while I'm on the train, then when I get home stick it through the speakers and tweak. I like the sound of them.

I'm a big fan of disposable Sony MDR V150 $20 for tracking. They are very loud, lightweight, fit tight, and very loud with only fair amount of bleed. Great for drummers. And like I said, disposable. Sit on em once and bye bye.

I have many 57's and 58's. Sturdy little suckers. Great for the loud instruments. IMO, LD condensers definitely work best for acoustic, but cheaper ones tend to be grainy and somewhat harsh in the upper midrange. I have however only tried a CAD M179 and Rode NT1a. Ribbon mics can be good for smoothing guitar tones, but again, you get what you pay for. And they are quite delicate and are best paired with a $500+ preamp for the extra gain needed.

If I were to purchase a microphone to capture all of those different sources I would definitely be looking at a multi-pattern LDC ~☼No doubt about it☼~

The 57 and 58 are a design that's over 40 years old now (and I hate to admit that I've been using them for most of those 40 years). They're popular in the live sound industry, more for their ruggedness than the sound quality. They're also popular because they're a known quantity.

I have several of each, but if I was buying a single mic to start with, it likely would NOT be a 57 or 58 (though everyone will probably own some eventually). I'd probably have a single LDC if I was only going to have one mic. Which one? Depends on my mood. I'm a big fan of the SE range which I think represent superb value for money. The 2200A is amazing at it's price point...or even against some mics costing twice as much. Or maybe an AKG C414--more money but with the varying patterns it replaces about 3 mics in the kit. Or, in the cheap range, maybe even a small diaphragm condenser...a pair of SE1As is very useful indeed.

So...nothing wrong with the 57/58...and if you're dead set on one of them, I'd go for the 57. However, for my only mic? There's other's I'd choose first.

:) well thanks for all the input. From lots of good advice and opinions I look forward to owning a shure 57 and 58 in the future but if it will be my first mic and my only mic the SE 2200a seems to be a great one to start with. ^_^

Back