Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shure SM57;SM58

Thanks

Shure SM57;SM58

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've found my Audio Interface(M-Audio Fast Track Pro) now I'm looking at Mics. I know I've read plenty of posts about these two mics since I've been looking into recording. I look at them and just see a different look. Can someone explain are there any true pros or cons to these mics? And would I be able to notice a difference if I got one or the other. Thanks guys ^_^

Thanks
    They're basically the same thing, the grill on top is different. They advertise the 58 as a vocal and the 57 as an instrumental mic. If I could choose only one, I'd get the 57. They're both great mics, awesome value for money, and they get almost any job done. If, however, you're a singer song writer interested in doing acoustic recordings you'll probably be better off with an LDC. You can use that for your vocals and acoustic guitar.

Thanks
    The 57 and the 58 are essentially the same mic. If you look at them on a frequency response chart you'll see slight differences. The differences are there, but barely audible in most home recording scenarios.

Much of the difference can be traced to the ball-shaped windscreen on the 58. Remove that from a 58 and you essentially have a 57.

Thanks
    The 58 is a 57 with a bigger pop/spit guard and a bass roll off. The 57 would be better for recording, even vocals. Like Saads said though, if it's just studio stuff you're doing a Large Diaphragm Condenser would be better. Something like Welcome to sE Electronics
    Sonny.

sonny@sparedougal.com

For online mixing, mastering and production Check out: www.sparedougal.com

For Recording, Mixing and Production tips check out: http://mixtipsblog.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spare Dougal View Post
    The 58 is a 57 with a bigger pop/spit guard and a bass roll off. The 57 would be better for recording, even vocals. Like Saads said though, if it's just studio stuff you're doing a Large Diaphragm Condenser would be better. Something like Welcome to sE Electronics
    That is a good mic right there. You could probably get a couple 57s and 58s in that price, but still a lot cheaper than other LDCs.

Thanks
    I will be recording a few different things including acoustic, electric, bass, and vocals. Maybe Sax. I think I'm going to go for the SM57 to begin with... The LDCs seem to be a bit more expensive right?

Thanks
    Also, do I really need a pair of headphones that cost $100 dollars. Lol. How in the heck can a pair of headphones but that expensive. I'm looking at different brands. One costs 200... I mean wow. So, question being.. How bout that 30 dollar pair I see? ^_^

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AddisonXI View Post
    Also, do I really need a pair of headphones that cost $100 dollars. Lol. How in the heck can a pair of headphones but that expensive. I'm looking at different brands. One costs 200... I mean wow. So, question being.. How bout that 30 dollar pair I see? ^_^
    It really depends what you need them for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AddisonXI View Post
    I will be recording a few different things including acoustic, electric, bass, and vocals. Maybe Sax. I think I'm going to go for the SM57 to begin with... The LDCs seem to be a bit more expensive right?
    The SE will be good for all those things and will last you. Having said that SM57 will last you and be a great mice to have so you should definitely get one anyway, but if you're unlikely to be able to afford another mic in a while, I'd go for the SE. It's a work horse.

As for headphone, like grimtraveller said, what are you using them for? Just tracking or are you mixing on them
    Sonny.

sonny@sparedougal.com

For online mixing, mastering and production Check out: www.sparedougal.com

For Recording, Mixing and Production tips check out: http://mixtipsblog.blogspot.com

Thanks
    I haven't even started recording yet or learning how to record/produce.. So how bout I'll be using them for tracking??(I assume this is laying down single tracks over one another?) I am a brand spankin new newbie in the audio industry. My only knowledge is playing instruments themselves.

Thread Information