Should I buy monitor system or headphones?

Lespaul001

Hello all!
Some days ago my Sennheiser HD 270 went wrong, I would need new headphones. Then I was thinking about that maybe I could use a new monitor system for quality music and movie listening and in the same time recording and basic mixing of my guitar recordings. I would use the monitor system with my PODxt.
Do you think a basic monitor max. the price of ~300 Eur system would be sufficient for this application or should I just buy headphones for recording, mixing and HiFi system for movies, music listening?
I'm thinking about AKG K-701 headphones, but for monitor I don't have any idea. Could you please also recommend me something?
Thanks for your further answers!

JBL LSR305 5" Powered Studio Monitor (Pair) | Musician's Friend
KRK Rokit Powered 5" Generation 3 | Musician's Friend
PreSonus Eris 4.5 High-Definition 2-Way 4.5" Nearfield Studio Monitors | Musician's Friend Notice these have a 4.5" woofer so the bass response won't get super low.
M-Audio BX5 D2 Studio Monitor (Each) | Musician's Friend

I would check those out first. Not all of these models come in pairs so watch for that, but the price are within your means. I've personally have the M-Audios and they serve me well. I still use a pair to mix at my girlfriends place, the first pair I had croaked after 4-5 years. For home I use JBL but not the ones I listed above. I love my JBLs. Hopefully this list can get you off to a good start. Just remember whatever route you go always use a reference track from a well produced song that you like. This will give you a correct translation between monitors and headphones. Happy shopping!

Back