Setting Up Workflow - Help

recordingnoob

know very little about recording and have never used a reel to reel. I recently was given a Teac X1000R and a Tascam 2516 Mixer. As stupid as this may sound, I was hoping somebody could give me a basic rundown of how to set up a workflow with this equipment. I record by myself and ideally would like the sound of tape but to have the files on my computer. Is the Teac even the right machine or do I need a multitrack recorder?

Can somebody walk me through how I would go about setting this up and things that would go in between the mixer and tape machine? (compressors, eq, etc.)

The X1000R is a stereo deck, and I don't think it has any capability of multitracking, so it's one shot in stereo and done. If you're looking for something to lay down acoustic guitar, and then add vocal later, its not going to do the job.
The mixer has 8 buss outputs, but unless you have something that does 8 channel recording like a Tascam 38 or 80-8, it's going to operate more like a stage mixer.

If you want the "tape sound", I would probably do my recording into a computer and then dump it down to the tape for the final master. With the DBX, it should stay pretty quiet if its been properly maintained.

Personally, I would rather record into a Zoom H4N and have 4 tracks digitally than to deal with reels of tape.

Last edited:
Back