Setting up a small studio in my room

LukeDrum44

Hey my name's Luke and I'm a 17 year old doing my A2 levels and hopefully going to do a degree in Music Technology at University next September.

Basically I'm looking to get a bit of experience with using sequencers and recording equipment as I don't have much so i was thinking of buying and setting up some studio equipment in my room. it'll be mostly for using for practice and doing MIDI stuff but I'd like to home recording some rock/pop punk tracks at home as well.

i just want to know what i need to get me started really. all i have right now is loads of XLR cables and a 7 piece 'Samson' drum mics set from years ago when me and a mate used to record some tracks using a little a mixer and that free recording program 'Audacity' haha.

if anyone could help me with what sequencing software they would be best or most affordable but still good that'd be appreciated.
also obviously i've got a good PC and sound system but what else will i need?

Thanks
Luke

The most popular DAWs are probably Logic, Pro Tools, Reaper, Cubase, Digital Performer, and Sonar, just to name a few. I've heard Reason and Fruity Loops can be good for sequencing, but I'm not really the one to ask about that. You'll need an audio interface to plug all those mics into and some studio monitors so you can accurately hear your mixes. You might want to pick up a MIDI controller or two too if you plan on doing a lot of work with MIDI. Some point in the future you also might want to acoustically treat your room, but that doesn't have to happen any time soon.

Have a look at Ableton Live, you can pick up a lite version from various places and in magazines for free, or download a trial. Has recording, sequencing, midi capability.

Alan

Back