setting up a home studio

Gaviao

I posted this in the Digital recording AND the Studio section before someone suggested THIS might be the better section... :D

So I am setting up a home studio with the idea that I might start to record demos for local bands, nothing crazy, and I need help figuring out all of the equipment that I would need to do so.

Here is the equipment that I have:

A dell laptop with XPS, USB 2.0, and Audacity. I am possibly getting a mac mini (with upgraded memory) that has firewire and hopefully ProTools.

I have 1 MXL 992 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone, MXL 993 Condenser Microphones Stereo Pair, 2 Shure SM57 betas, 1 Shure SM58 beta, a couple of random dynamic mics, 4 mic stands, and a Behringer Eurorack UB1204FX - Pro (mixer).

I figured that I could use the mixer to record the drums if I get a interface with only 2 inputs.

Speaking of interfaces I know that I NEED one, but would you suggest USB or FireWire?

Also are they any other odds and ends that I am missing?

I have a budget of $300 to $400 but I would like to keep it around $200 to $300 if possible... not a lot I know.

Thanks

Theres alot you can do with that...Id say save a little longer and get an 8 input interface when you can get 500 bucks saved...and do some learning using the line in on the soundcard in the meantime.

^^^ what he says.

If you want to "record demos for local bands", you may find yourself struggling if you only have two inputs . . . it will force you into making lots of compromises.

So . . . look at firewire and eight inputs. This would give you much more flexibility.

There is a 16 input piece by Tascam that is on closeout...look into it and make sure you can meet the computer requirements because it might be a CPU hog...some places have it for $300

what do u mean "is on closeout"? i was going to purchase this by the end of the month...should i sooner?

Well I havent read the word closeout yet...but usually that is what is happening when they drop the prices like that...if you want to make sure you get one you should go to your local place and put some cash down on it...be sure to negotiate the price in the link when you deal with the store...most places are able to match prices nowdays...and if they dont...be prepared to walk...nothing flips the script on a salesman then a coustomer leaving...and homereccers are good clients...lol.

good idea, buying locally. i had a friend buy the us-144. he bought it direct and when he had problems with it, it took them 6 months to fix it and send it back. maybe if it was purchased at a local store, i might get a better turn around time *shrugs*

i havent read the word "closeout" either. thats why i was confused. but, i havent seen the price drop either, so im reaaally confused now. its been at $400 for a while now...hasnt it? if youre seeing it at $300, then im assuming its just used or something.

They were the lowest price on the net...In KC I can have more leverage with my local guitar center because I can go to a bricks and morter version of Musicians Friend across town...and they match any internet deal so Ipso-facto Guitar center has to match them or I walk out.

i guess its time that i learn to finagle salesmen

A secret weapon is to also inquire about Monitors and Mics at the same time and listen to some...make them think thousands of dollars is walking out on them...it carries weight with the managers as well if they have to get it approved.

Remember the salesman might act like he is your friend but he is the enemy and you are just a wallet to him so dont feel bad if you want to play hardball with them.

A secret weapon is to also inquire about Monitors and Mics at the same time and listen to some...make them think thousands of dollars is walking out on them...it carries weight with the managers as well if they have to get it approved.

Remember the salesman might act like he is your friend but he is the enemy and you are just a wallet to him so dont feel bad if you want to play hardball with them.

excellent advice! cant wait to hustle some salesmen lol

There is a 16 input piece by Tascam that is on closeout...look into it and make sure you can meet the computer requirements because it might be a CPU hog...some places have it for $300

http://www.tascam.com/products/us-1641.html

http://www.audiolines.com/DJ-Sound-Cards/All-DJ-Soundcards/Tascam-US-1641

Now in a guitar forum that I frequent one of the other members said that if you're using more than 4 inputs at a time you want to go FireWire instead of USB because of latency. Is there validity to this?

8 channels into a 2 channel interface just won't cut it. Here's a quick explanation why...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=3208828&postcount=3

To do it right, you need inputs.

That makes a lot of sense and obviously the better option, but for the sake of budget can you use the mixer and get a decent cut on the drums? Again I'm not looking for this to be professional off the bat, just something better than what they can do in the basement... or am I being delusional? :D

Now in a guitar forum that I frequent one of the other members said that if you're using more than 4 inputs at a time you want to go FireWire instead of USB because of latency. Is there validity to this?

If there was a problem with USB2 handling the 16 inputs...they wouldnt have made it USB2...I have an 8 input that does preamp modeling inside of the computer sending it back out in real time with zero latency...tecnically 16 inputs should be very possible with USB2...but you better have a computer that doubles the units minimum requirements for smooth operation.

Yes, that is correct. USB cannot handle large data streams very well. Plus it taxes the cpu far more than Firewire. I remember reading somewhere that somebody has 24 channels going through one firewire port. You won't get that with USB. Was it WhiteStrat who is doing that???

That makes a lot of sense and obviously the better option, but for the sake of budget can you use the mixer and get a decent cut on the drums? Again I'm not looking for this to be professional off the bat, just something better than what they can do in the basement... or am I being delusional? :D

You can probably keep at it until you get a good mix on the drums. However, once you record the drums, that's it, the take is permanent record. You won't have as much flexibilty to make adjustments when you go to mixdown with the rest of your tracks. And THAT's the time you want to be able to tweak each and every track and/or instrument to get them to blend with each other and make music.

Just throwing this out there, but if a band comes into your studio and you only have a 2 channel interface with a mixer, they'll probably walk. (Unless they absolutely don't have a clue.)

http://forum.recordingreview.com/f8/tascam-us-1641-usb-2-0-audio-interface-review-5305/

i had the same worries about the product in your quote, so i found a review on it (above link). i dont know anything about the guy giving the review, but he seems credible. he discusses his previous hesitation on USB and then speaks of a solution that could end yours. his doubts are gone now and said he has had no problems with it since he implemented his solution. that solution being to add a separate USB card to your computer and using it solely for the interface. this way you dont have to worry about bandwidth sharing. hope that helps :)

Funny I did put one in...but I figured that the ones on the motherboard would allways be better to use.

I have no doubt that Tascam can do it with USB because it is a tascam...Id have my doubts if it were a lexicon or something that had issues in the past..but Ive allways did homebuilt computers with the Motherboard and microprossesor upgraded yearly with the RAM maxed out.

Yes, that is correct. USB cannot handle large data streams very well. Plus it taxes the cpu far more than Firewire. I remember reading somewhere that somebody has 24 channels going through one firewire port. You won't get that with USB. Was it WhiteStrat who is doing that???

Yep that was me. I've got an older Tascam 1804 (discontinued now--but I love it and would get another one used if I had to). It has 8 ins of it's own, and optical ins and outs which each handle 8 more. So I've got 8 more ins from an M-Audio Octane going in, and 8 outs through an ADA8000 so I can send channels from the DAW back out through the rack gear when needed.

So technically it's 24, but it's 16 in and 8 out. With a newer/better interface, I'm sure the one Firewire port could handle 24 ins and still handle some outs as well.

If I go the route of the mac mini then ALL that computer is going to be used for is recording, only if I use my dell laptop will I have to worry about anything else plugged into the USB.

So the consensus seems to be... get a better interface and worry about the odds and ends later.

Back