Searching, slicing, and squashing?

Alanfc

RE: Frequencies and Compression

On a per/song basis(not my overall sound):

After a few hours/days/weeks with my EQ, once I've found the frequencies my individual instruments are happy in, and I somehow get them to have their own space; do I need to - or would I Want to, do the following: >>>>> -
Compress each instrument an appropriate amount to make it really distinct?
Or is that a totally f'ked- up idea, no reason to do that if I've already EQ'd....

Because, I was reading something by a big buy that talked about the "compressors for each instrument", like every single instrument just went through its own compressor no matter what. That made me wonder if he was compressing every instrument according to its frequency and its character. Which led me back to wondering about EQ..

If you get the EQ right for each instrument will it be helped by just a little compression to make it stand out (without more volume)?

I'm not looking for any kind of "sound" but there have been a few bands I've heard in the last couple years who's instruments you can hear perfectly/distinctly, while they keep the levels up good for each instrument. And no one is lost. I want to do That....

Thanks for any opinions...

Last edited:
Alanfc said:
......Compress each instrument an appropriate amount to make it really distinct? Or is that a totally f'ked- up idea, no reason to do that if I've already EQ'd.......

It depends on the type of music you are creating........ and the desired sound of the music.

spin

spin-

Yes I see , I suppose that would help-

this is simple Drum, bass, 2 dirty guitar- heavy rock, with moderately fast to stoopid -fast tempos

I want to create something relatively clean, but heavy. Not drowned in effects, but not sounding like I recorded in the bathroom with a pocket cassette recorder either

Thanks

Back