Scratchy line in??

KingChuvas

Hey, I started recording a bit of stuff on guitar from my amp's line out, and I cant help but notice how scratchy the recording sounds. I tried putting mids up and reducing gain, but I still get that scratchy sound. I'm wondering if theres a problem with lining the sound straight from my amp (maybe using a mic woul be better?) or if the problem is my computer's sound card. I am using cool edit as the recording program.

Also, I have a second question. I wanted to buy a good mic, like sm-57 or something, the problem is I wanna hook it up to my computer which has no xlr inputs so what can I do get around this problem?

Thanks alot, I appreciate any kind help.

Try this First:

Take a CD player, and plug the "Line Out" of the CD Player to the "Line IN" of your sound Card.

Adjust the "Line IN" volume in the volume control ( so it don't clips on Cool edit )

If everything is sounding right, and you don't hear any clicks or scratchy sounds ( then everything is right ).

-----

Now, take the line out from your amp, and plug it to your "Line IN" in the soundcard. adjust the volume from your amp, so it doesn't clip on cool edit.
don't let it go over -6db.

Check how it sounds.

-------------------------

a TIP:
Plug your amp to the wall and hit the GAIN/Distortion button.
turn up the volume. ( just the AMP alone, no guitar plugged ).

Do you hear any buzz? ground? weird sounds?

If you do, then you need to plug that AMP somewhere else.

Try to use a good cable also, and don't let the strings of the guitar to TOUCH the pickups. try to keep some distance between the strings and pickups.

-----------

What else could be?
mmmm.... i don't know..... so many things....

Back